December is always a very busy month full of anticipation and excitement in the midst of all the holiday cooking, parties and regular activities that must be kept up with.
We began the month attending an adults only party… safe to say the best and most fun party we’ve attended as a married couple. Here is a sample of the dessert I made to bring. I added some Christmas sprinkles to my holiday fudge recipe this year to make it a little more festive looking. We left a dish of it for the kids to have while we were gone and we brought some to friends afterward.
We decorated the tree and I have lots of kitty decorations but I often found myself with a rather LARGE kitty in the tree as well. As soon as we put the tree up Sandy knew it was just for her and, in spite of her “age”, being three years old did NOT stop this kittenish behavior.
Sandy also found a mouse in the tree and even after the tree was well decorated she wouldn’t leave this poor little mouse alone. Silly! How does she know?
Sandy was showing her devilish side… the angel on the tree top sat watching it all.
Somehow Sandy stayed on the nice list and still found herself with a gift on Christmas morning.
On to more of the treats. After the house was decorated we found time and ingredients to make lots and lots of goodies. Goodies for teachers, goodies for class parties, goodies for friends, goodies for caroling, goodies for Santa, goodies for holiday dinners, and goodies for ourselves. The scale says that it was too many goodies but it was sure fun for the month. Nathan helped me roll peanut butter balls one morning.
Then we dipped the peanut butter balls into chocolate to make “buckeyes”. It’s an Ohio thing and I finally found an easy recipe that is also delicious. This may be one of the things I like best about Ohio. I thought about sending some through the mail but in the end decided they might not survive too well.
A goodie showed up in the mail one day for me though, all the way from Oregon. These were so good; a combination of Oreo and Thin Mints rolled into one. I savored every single one over the course of several weeks (of which I was proud) and didn’t share a single one (of which I am not proud)… but I didn’t eat them in front of anyone else either. Plus my husband doesn’t like mint chocolate so he wouldn’t have cared anyway. Finding these beautiful towels and box of cookies in a mailed box of hand-me-downs for my daughter from her Aunt sure made my day.
By the time Christmas rolled around I had a little bit left of a whole lot of baking. This works as Christmas Eve Dinner’s dessert after we FIRST pull out a few cookies to leave for Santa. There is more holiday fudge, Candy Bar Cookies, East End Bars in red and green, Butter Cookie Swirls, and Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies. I try to have everyone pick one cookie that they really want to make or have made each year. If possible I try to have them help me make them too but as more of them are in school now and with more homework it is getting harder to have that time with them.
Can you spot the cat in the tree on the left? Sometimes she’d take a nap up in the branches. Merry little kitty.
















No comments:
Post a Comment