A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pinewood Derby-2012

I have always enjoyed the Pinewood Derby since first going to watch my younger brothers race their cars a good many years back now.  And I feel maybe even a little more excitement as I go to watch my own son race his car.  Why do I think this is such a great activity?  Well, first off it’s just plain fun.  It doesn’t even matter who’s racing;  It’s just fun, plain and simple.  But as a parent now, I see more facets to this activity.  On one level there is the opportunity for a father and son to work together on this project.  Time is set aside for just the two of them to work together sharing ideas, taking advantage of teaching moments and just spending that precious time together.  Or if it’s not the Dad, then there is that opportunity for male bonding, opportunity to give service and to be a mentor or positive male role model.  This activity stretches the boys imaginations, gets them in touch with their artistic sides, gives them an opportunity to handle tools, teaches sportsmanship and the list goes on.  And then there is the pride factor.  These boys feel something when they accomplish creating their car.  They take pride in their “block of wood” and if they are one of the winners… WOW!  Sweet success!  What an accomplishment they feel!  I think that this race is about so much more than just the block of wood.  On the last day of January we went to the annual Pinewood Derby for Cub Scouts to see Tristan race his car that he designed, helped cut, sanded and painted.  I believe he named his car “Lightning McQueen” and he was hoping it would be FAST! 
DSCN4454
Here is his car, the red one in the center, in the official lineup after having been weighed.  It is ready for the big race. 
DSCN4455DSCN4456
Tristan also invited his friend from school to come.  Tristan supplied him with a car which he made with his own Dad and his friend got to race in the “un-official” races.  The more races the more fun I guess and Tristan’s friend and his father seemed to have a good time.
DSCN4458DSCN4459
The track takes up a good portion of the  Cultural Hall and we had a top notch spot at the finish line.
DSCN4457DSCN4465
The finish line is where the majority of the kids hung out.  Rick called the placement of the cars and had the tough job of bending over to carefully pick them up.
DSCN4461DSCN4462DSCN4463
Nathan thought wandering around with a drink and helping himself to cookies at the refreshment table was amazing independence.  I waited on the sidelines with paper towels to clean up his spills and he wasn’t the only one I had to clean up after.
DSCN4469DSCN4471
Here they come…                                 and here Tristan and Zach pose with their cars.
DSCN4466DSCN4467
Kaitlyn met up with her good buddy and they enjoyed snacks together also.
DSCN4470DSCN4472DSCN4473
Tristan enjoyed having his friend from school along for this activity.  But it will probably be the last time since his parents figured out what religion we are after they looked up the building’s location on the internet and weren’t too thrilled, apparently.  While this IS Boy Scouts of America the Pack meets at the church building of our congregation.
DSCN4460DSCN4475
Tristan’s hopes of speed were realized.  He moved up from 2nd place last year to 1st place in his Pack this year in both the official as well as the un-official races!!!  Terrific job, Tristan!  What a lot of fun for the boys and for their families.  It was an exciting time!

1 comment: