A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Lovely Lilacs

Kaitlyn went outside this morning and said “Mmmmm!  Mom, something smells REALLY good outside”.  I went outdoors and certainly the air was flooded with a wonderful scented breeze so I bent a bough of my lilac (pronounced li-lock and not li-lack which I’m guessing is another regional thing) and I asked Kaitlyn if this is what she was smelling.  She came over and buried her nose in the heavy cone of blooms and sighed with a smile.  “Yes, Mom.  That’s what I smell”. 

DSCN4724DSCN4726

We had another lunchtime picnic out in the yard today which we’ve been doing quite a lot of in the past week or so.

DSCN4716DSCN4720

Can I bottle this scent?  These smell positively heavenly.  The 85 degree weather forced them out a couple of weeks ago and then it cooled drastically which is prolonging their blooming.  It’s rained but not for prolonged periods so the lilacs have dried out quickly and haven’t rusted. 

DSCN4719DSCN4718

I don’t think I’ve ever seen lilacs come out this early ever and I don’t think that I’ve seen them last so long either.  They are really gorgeous this year.  I have four lilac bushes in bloom this year, up from three last year.  I love that after 15 years I am looking UP at my blooms now.  When Haley was a baby these were ankle height when I stuck them in the ground with the exception of the Sensation (white outlined lilac).  Most of my tulips seem to be missing this year… Squirrels?

DSCN4721DSCN4722

My “May Day” cake may need to be made a little early this year… the flowers are in bloom so much earlier.  The peach blossoms on our new trees were gorgeous as well but the hail wiped them out before I snapped any pictures.

DSCN4723DSCN4725

Nathan loves to eat cuties and “feed” the peel to the trees.  That was his favorite part of our picnic lunch today.

1 comment:

  1. I read this out loud to Porter as he was running back and forth doing his own thing around me. And at the end when he heard Nathan's name, he came running over looking up at the computer, very curious to see where "Nay-Nay" was (his apparently new nickname for Nathan he came up with). He loved looking at the pictures of his cousin Nathan.
    And I loved seeing the beautiful lilacs. You know, I haven't seen any around here, and I haven't heard anyone say the word, so I don't know how they would pronounce them here.
    You are very lucky to have so many beautiful lilacs in your yard.

    ReplyDelete