Every year on the Summer Solstice we have a tradition of having Strawberry Shortcake for dinner. If you want dessert I’ll serve you up some fresh broccoli later. This year we actually had too much going on on the actual evening of the Summer Solstice… too many people going too many directions so I decided to serve this up the next day during the first dinner time of summer. (The summer solstice actually occurred at something like 7:20 p.m. which was later than dinner time). I got away with it this year at least. Anyway, it’s a fun tradition that we look forward to and I think one that my Mom started. But maybe she did it once, and we thought it should become a tradition. I forgot about this idea for a few years until my Mom reminded me of it. Now my kids and my husband won’t let me forget. It’s as popular as ice cream night only this one you can plan!
Here is the finished product in all its glory. I began with a Fluffy Shortcake, a biscuit split in half from the Fannie Farmer Baking Book on p. 576. These are really light, fluffy and fantastic. I tried these out and left the pound cake out of the equation to make this meal lower in fat & calories and I’m sticking with this from now on, they were that good. Next came a scoop of Rick’s homemade vanilla ice cream, a scoop of frozen strawberries we’d picked ourselves, a bit of home made strawberry sauce made from same farm picked strawberries with a dollop of whipped cream on the top. Some decided to add a drizzle of homemade chocolate syrup to the mix as well. (Chocolate sauce is incredibly easy to make, more delicious than its store bought counterpart and a fraction of the cost of premade syrup). One of these was filling and simply wonderful!
With everything needed laid out on the table each person was able to make their own personal Strawberry Shortcake.
A great meal that is certainly as popular as Ice Cream Night. It’s got components from all the food groups, right?
Yum! What a wonderful way to welcome summertime!
















No comments:
Post a Comment