A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Monday, January 7, 2013

November

November seems like quite some time ago now.  I didn’t finish getting this posted right after Thanksgiving and at this point what’s another couple of days?

DSCN6752DSCN6753

These two beautiful autumny Welcome signs came home from school to grace our doors.  Both Kaitlyn and Tristan continue to progress in their German studies.

DSCN6748

Nathan helped me to vote in the November elections after we read some books like Duck for President and When I Grow Up I Want to Be President.  We talked about why voting is important and Nathan’s was all the help I needed.

DSCN6749DSCN6750DSCN6751

One day we got to pick Lindsay up from school early and we headed to the zoo before picking up the other children.  It was so much fun to just have the two of them, an unlikely pair, to spend time with in this way.

DSCN6756DSCN6755DSCN6757

Lindsay performed in The Music Man as a townsperson both singing and dancing during the second weekend in November.  Kaitlyn and I got to go to the Saturday afternoon performance together and see this musical. 

 

DSCN6754

Kaitlyn received a “replacement” sweatshirt as a  gift from her Grammy; one that fits and takes the place of the size 2 she’d been insisting on wearing.  Kaitlyn was quite surprised that it fit and happy to still have a similar sweatshirt.

DSCN6758DSCN6761

This peanut butter-cheerio loving cat discovered…

DSCN6759DSCN6760

Ice Water.  She prefers hers in a glass!!!

DSCN6763DSCN6766

We made up so many stories with the little people and their castle.

DSCN6764DSCN6765

We spent hours playing and then we’d go right back to the story after an interruption.

DSCN6767DSCN6768

I had intended on writing down the reader’s digest version of our stories but at this point it’s been too long.  Some of them were soooooo funny!

DSCN6769DSCN6770DSCN6771

I tried a new blueberry poppy seed coffee cake with lemon.  It was quite delicious.

DSCN6772DSCN6773DSCN6774

Nathan decided that it was never too cold to go outside for a peachy popsicle.  And Scruffles enjoyed the last of this year’s catnip while Nathan and I blasted off through outer space on our big swing rocket ship in the afternoons.

DSCN6778

After receiving a less than stellar mark on his first quarter report card for music class Tristan made sure to fill out and return his practice chart for the Recorder.  Nathan found the second recorder and these two were quite the wakeup crew in the early mornings at our house.  I’m sure the neighbors didn’t realize how glad they should be for window closing season. 

DSCN6779DSCN6780DSCN6781

Haley went to her first Homecoming Dance and borrowed my old formal from a dinner dance cruise her Dad and I had back in college on The Spirit of Rochester out on the Lake that May 18 1/2 years ago just before we graduated from college and got married.  Haley wanted something special done with her hair too.  Hair is not my forte but I decided to give it a shot.  I thought about hair all week but still had no idea what I was going to come up with until I was done.  Her hair turned out beautifully.

DSCN6782DSCN6783

I think I did a pretty good job.  Haley was pleased as well.

DSCN6784DSCN6785

We continued to find notes left on our pillows from a special little someone.  I love little hearts and people and rainbows and letters drawn by young children.  So cute!

DSCN6786DSCN6787

Nathan got to help bake when it was his turn to make Family Night treats.  Getting assigned to make treats only happens about once every two months by the time every one gets a turn so he wanted to make SURE we had chocolate chips.  We made a big batch of some really yummy Cowboy Cookies which fit the bill and even had leftovers for a lunchbox treat later in the week.  While we waited for them to bake we got into the puzzles of North American maps.  We named the states as we put them in where they belonged and we worked on who lives in what state.  Washington happened to be the last state to get put in the puzzle.  Somebody important lives there that Nathan sends mail to fairly often these days. 

DSCN6788DSCN6789

Scruffles enjoyed the afternoon sun on the cushy chairs out on the deck.

DSCN6790DSCN6793

And finally we worked on the great big giant puzzle of the United States.  It seems appropriate as we approached Thanksgiving.  We worked on picking out and naming Ohio, New York and Washington in particular learning and thinking about who lives in those places.  We also named the other states and who or what might be there, as well.  In one of our long loved books by Joan Sweeney called “Me On the Map” we made sure to sing the continent song as well as we pointed to the continents on the map and when we went to the zoo Nathan was able to look at the shape of the continent on the information signs of the different animals and name the continent.  There was a lot of singing through the zoo that day. 

And that is what I remember from November!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice! What's the continent song?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting a little slice of your life! Always fun to see what everyone has been up to, especially since we see each other so infrequently!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael, it is unfortunate that this song is not put to any musical tune already in existence so I will have to sing it for you on the phone sometime. It is very simple though and works for sure. Have you gotten into Brite Music at all? They have GREAT stuff and they sell it by downloading now so it is cheaper than it used to be. Some of it has helped my children learn the preamble way before it is taught in school and has helped them on tests because the info is all there, taught in music listened to for fun years earlier. Totally worth it. I've got a couple downloaded so check with me first. I think the downloaded ones I have are more for a few years from now with Porter as they tackle some issues more suited for older children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not heard of Brite Music, I'll have to check it out. Thanks! And I will look forward to you serenading me sometime with the continents song! ; )

    ReplyDelete