A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Haley’s Sweet Sixteen!

On January 29th we celebrated Haley’s sweet 16 a day early.  On Haley’s birthday the Pinewood Derby, Tristan’s last, was scheduled, the day after that was Math and Science night at the elementary school and Friday and Saturday Haley’s social calendar was filled as well so a day early celebration was in order.  We got started when everyone returned home from work and school for the evening.

DSCN7191DSCN7191

Haley seemed a little undecided this year all around which included dinner.  She wasn’t sure what she wanted.

DSCN7192DSCN7193

I remembered that she really liked my bow tie pasta with Italian sausage and sundried tomatoes the last time I made it.  She said, at the time, that she “might” want this for her birthday.  It is easy and quick to make as well and we all agree that it is delicious. 

DSCN7194DSCN7196

I put a fresh fruit salad together and toasted some croutons for a green salad.  We got a few presents together for Haley as well.  Again, she wasn’t too sure on exactly what she wanted.  I had a couple of ideas.  None of them involved electronics though her Dad toyed with the idea.

DSCN7197DSCN7198

Haley opened her cards.

DSCN7199DSCN7200

Then she got to work on her presents.  Our card was both.  We gave her money to help with her trip to Disney World scheduled for April.  She was having trouble coming up with enough money though she’d worked hard.  It wasn’t enough but we felt it would be something she really wanted and would remember.  Unfortunately, at this point, I can say that the trip got cancelled a few weeks ago.  Haley actually had enough money and had paid but not enough people had paid and so she got her money back.  A different trip was scheduled but Haley decided to save her money for something she really wants to do.  I say “good for her”.  She handled the disappointing news well.  It would have been a fun trip and while it won’t be her only opportunity to go to Disney World ever I can say that I am still waiting for the opportunity to go.  I hope she gets there someday.

DSCN7201DSCN7202

I continued our tradition of giving Haley a Growing Up Girl… the last birthday girl and the next one won’t be until graduation.  I also got her a little bit of makeup.  I told her I would allow makeup when she turned 16.  She had a lot to learn about that and herself over the past year. 

DSCN7203DSCN7204

We finished up presents, it was getting late and so we moved on to the birthday dessert.  We had homemade chocolate chip ice cream for those who didn’t like the rest of the dessert and some raspberry chip ice cream that Haley had wanted. 

DSCN7205DSCN7206

A chocolate caramel cheesecake I made for Haley was lit.  We sang as I presented it to her.  All those candles created some heat!

DSCN7207DSCN7208

A happy, beautiful “almost” sixteen year old girl with her very yummy dessert.

DSCN7213DSCN7214DSCN7215

To have some sort of celebration on Haley’s actual birthday I surprised her by dropping her off at seminary on her birthday and then without her knowing I left, went to Dunkin Doughnuts to buy doughnuts which is something we love but haven’t gotten in years and years.  I will say that was an adventure in the pouring rain at 6 a.m.  Hiding them in the trunk of the car I went and got them out after she went inside the house upon our return.  We called her for breakfast and boy was she surprised.  And Wow!  The kids never got up out of bed and dressed with such enthusiasm as they did that morning. 

DSCN7216DSCN7217

Haley’s fashion statement for the day.  Happy birthday to my beautiful girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment