A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cub Scouts

In early August I was released from my calling as Activity Days leader that I had served in for 6 1/2 years.  I loved working with the girls.  In fact, if you are a girl in my ward who is anywhere from 8 years to 18 years of age, then I have worked with you in Activity Days.  It was the most fun I’ve ever had with a job in the church.  It was a great deal of work, too.  At any rate, it was time to let someone else take the reigns and learn the ropes and I knew that this change was coming.  What I find amazing is that immediately I was put into the position of Webelos Den Leader in the Cub Scouts working with the boys in the same age bracket… but more specifically the 10 year olds.  We take a two year program and pack it into one year so they can become 11 year old Scouts.  It gives them a better chance of earning their Eagle in Boy Scouts this way.  So now I not only have a son in Cub Scouts but I have a uniform of my own, meet every single week now and have a whole new set of things to learn, though my knowledge of the program I’ve been running with the girls does help since at least the FIG requirements are the mostly the same.  I think working with the boys will be as rewarding as it was working with the girls all those years.  They are different though!

Last night we held our September Pack Meeting with a special ceremony for one of our Webelos who earned his Arrow of Light.  All of the younger Cub Scouts were soaking it in as the bridge was crossed and our oldest Cub was welcomed into Boy Scouts. 

I caught a few pictures of my family on this occasion.

DSCN9943

After the flag ceremony and a cheesy Cub Scout song, Tristan along with a few other boys in his Den put on a silly magic show at the beginning.  This helps him pass off some requirement.  Their show involved the first boy taking a drink of water and gargling.  Then passing on a message into the ear of the next boy and the next until they got to the last boy who spit water into the cup (as if they’d passed water from mouth to ear).  Tristan happened to be the last boy spitting out the water who got a chuckle from everyone until he shrugged and drank it back!!!  Loud groan from all!!!

DSCN9944

Tristan also got up on his own and did a “disappearing coin trick”, hence the long sleeves under his uniform.  I must say there was nothing too magical here but he had fun and he did it all on his own.

DSCN9945  

I was grateful that the ceremony didn’t take too long since there were several tired babies in the audience, including my own who is enjoying a “mostly blue” and gold “arrow of light” cake in this picture.

DSCN9946

Aside from assisting my Webelos in their presentation on the meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance these gold cupcakes were my contribution to the evening.  Ironically, the other girl who made the cake had to make it twice as I also had to make cupcakes twice; both of us discovering fallen cakes at 11 p.m. Monday night.  Something was in the water.  I then resorted to a box mix at 7 a.m. Tuesday morning and later made a confectioners frosting which was almost armor like but good tasting.  I ejected it onto the cupcakes from my cookie press, which I have only ever used for frosting.  They told me they wanted “fancy” and without being a cake decorator this is what I came up with.  The top centers are lightly sprinkled with sugar that I dyed blue.

DSCN9948 

Kaitlyn, still dressed for tumbling class earlier in the day, met up with her friend Madeline who is now in Kindergarten.  Much to Kaitlyn’s chagrin, Madeline can no longer attend play group on Friday mornings because school is in the way now.  Imagine that!

DSCN9947

Finally, there is Tristan with 4 of the 5 Paulson brothers and one other friend from Cub Scouts as well.     Tristan LOVES being a Cub Scout.

1 comment:

  1. Cub scouts rocks! (except when it doesn't -- as Michael informed me: "There was waaaaay too much talking last night.") Joseph is out of control in that picture btw.

    ReplyDelete