Introducing my NEW favorite cinnamon bun! These may just take the place of my old favorite that I’ve been handing out for years, though these are yeast rolls and so take a little more time than my old favorite. The pumpkin is the secret which gives these a wonderful flavor and then combined with the homemade caramel sauce these rolls are out of this world. In a word… addictive! They are so much more incredible than any other cinnamon roll I’ve ever tasted. These rolls are also HUGE with one dozen fitting in a 9 X 13; that’s twice as large as my old favorite cinnamon rolls. If you were at Seminary yesterday morning you would have gotten a sample of these (I had pumpkin that NEEDED to get used up). If you weren’t then you might just need to make a dish of these for yourself (to share with family or friends). And if you like this recipe then you might just need to purchase yourself the secret recipes from the Worldwide Ward Cookbook to get more great recipes from around the globe. There! I put in a plug with high recommendations.
Rolls
2 TBS yeast, 1/2 c. warm water, 1/2 c canned pumpkin, 2/3 c. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 egg beaten, 1/4 c. melted butter, 1/4 tsp. ground cloves, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 4-5 c. flour (I used just 4), 2 Tbsp. butter, melted, 1/2 c. packed brown sugar, 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Wait 5 minutes. Add pumpkin, sugar, salt, egg, 1/4 c. melted butter, cloves and cinnamon; mix well. Slowly add flour 1 c. at a time. Turn into lightly greased bowl, cover and set in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down dough and let rest 5 minutes. Roll dough out into a rectangle. Brush dough with 2 Tbsp. melted butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over butter. Starting with the long side of dough, roll up jelly roll style. Using sharp knife, cut roll into 12 equal slices and place with cut side up in a greased 9X13 pan. Let rise until double, 30-45 minutes. Bake rolls in a 350 oven about 20 minutes or until golden.
Caramel Frosting
1/4 c. butter, 1/2 c. packed brown sugar, 2 Tbsp. milk, 1/4 tsp. vanilla, pinch of salt, 1/2 – 3/4 c. powdered sugar
In a small saucepan, heat butter until melted. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Cook over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Transfer to small bowl and cool mixture. Stir in vanilla, salt and powdered sugar. Beat w/ mixer until well blended. If necessary, add more sugar for desired consistency. Drizzle 1/2 of caramel frosting o rolls as soon as they come out of the oven. Let cool until warm, then add the rest of the frosting over the top. Enjoy!
These are really great warmed in the microwave for breakfast. This recipe also doubles easily.
















Yum! We will have to try this sometime soon. And what was the old favorite recipe? Is that already posted on your blog somewhere? I know I've seen pictures, but can't recall if you've included the recipe. We really enjoy homemade orange rolls here.
ReplyDeleteI probably haven't put the old recipe up even though I make it for Christmas and sometimes birthdays. They're easy and quicker because they don't rise w/yeast so they probably still have a place and they're good... but not this good. I have handed the old recipe out for years; especially bridal showers/weddings when recipes were requested.
ReplyDelete