A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Friday, August 3, 2012

Winter Horse Riding Lessons

Lindsay also enjoyed a winter session of riding lessons about six months ago; her only gift at Chrismas time but the only one she really truly wanted.  This was a gift from both Rick and myself as well as from her Grammy & Pops in New York.  Lindsay was thrilled.  I was going to get Lindsay to give me some more details on her riding lessons but at this point I think I’ll just post the pics with my own commentary.
DSCN4557DSCN4559
Meet Spot, Lindsay’s horse every Saturday during the months of January and February this year for seven or eight weeks.  Some Saturday mornings were super cold; maybe 10 degrees outside.  But Lindsay had gloves and a winter coat on the coldest days.  Mostly she wore a sweatshirt and felt fine. 
DSCN4560DSCN4561
The cold did not really bother Lindsay in the least.  She just loved being with her horses.  There was no horse show after a session of riding lessons but I did manage to take a few pictures when I stopped in to watch her one day.  Her instructors commented on how natural she is with the horses.  I remember Lindsay’s Kindergarten teacher doing an activity one day on “What I want to be when I grow up”.  Her teacher pulled me aside at pick up time and said she had a funny story to tell me… when Miss Clausen got to Lindsay, Lindsay replied with confidence that she was going to be a horse rider when she grew up.  Miss Clausen then asked Lindsay where she would be able to find a job like that and Lindsay stated simply “Parky’s Farm, Silly!”  Miss Clausen got a huge kick out of this response.  A little before that Lindsay was invited to a Birthday Party for a friend who was having a party at the farm complete with Pony rides.  Lindsay was excited about this of course.  Right before the party Lindsay went around making sure the back yard was very clean.  Hmmm!  And when I told Lindsay that I would come to pick her up after the party was over, her response to me was that she might just be able to ride her pony home instead.  She knew the way and she would call me on the phone if she didn’t need that ride JUST IN CASE there were ponies given out as favors at the party.  I certainly had to smile but explained to her that it probably wouldn’t happen that way AND we didn’t have anywhere to put a horse or a pony.  She thought our garage was kind of like a stable but also said that it was OK if there were no ponies or horses to take home from the party.  She was just happy to go and visit them too.  Then a few years later Lindsay commented one day that she didn’t know how she would be able to get her job with horses if she didn’t know anything about them and didn’t have any experience with them.  Good point… but at that time she was also too short to take lessons and I told her so.  Her love of horses has been present ever since she could open her mouth to communicate with me before she was two years old.  When we decided to give her lessons for her birthday a few years ago, giving her an experience rather than a thing I decided that it would accomplish one of two things; either she’d get discouraged from her whole pursuit of horses at the very least when she had to muck stalls or else it would strengthen her resolve.  Freezing cold or boiling hot, feeding them or mucking out stalls she LOVES these horses.
DSCN4558
Nathan liked going to pick Lindsay up from her riding lessons.  He loves the farm too.

No comments:

Post a Comment