A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Sunday, April 7, 2013

January Activities

January was a cold busy month with a great deal of indoor time and brief spurts of outdoor weather to enjoy.  Here are January’s activities.
DSCN7077DSCN7078
We finished up caring for Brownie.  We enjoyed caring for him and watching him crawl around the house. 
DSCN7080DSCN7081
Nathan enjoyed putting together winter scenes on the flannel board and telling short stories of what was happening.
DSCN7079DSCN7082DSCN7083
We played games like “Sneaky Snacky Squirrel” and made all kinds of dinosaurs and telescopes with building materials.
DSCN7084DSCN7085DSCN7086
We even made a helicopter with Click-it bricks.  Oh!  Another picture of brownie being friendly with Nathan.
DSCN7087DSCN7088DSCN7089
On January 8th we returned Brownie to his classroom.  We will miss him.  Nathan went back to being “alone” again after Christmas Vacation for everyone else ... and he discovered his favorite lunch… Spaghetti O’s!!!
DSCN7090DSCN7091DSCN7092
Nathan loves tools and we got out his drill to take apart some of the toys he’d built before.  I think building and unbuilding is a little like puzzles for Nathan and he LOVES puzzles.  He shows real concentration when he does puzzles and while they may take him some time I haven’t handed him one yet that he cannot put together.
DSCN7093DSCN7094DSCN7104
Speaking of puzzles, Nathan enjoyed his new Poky Little Puppy puzzle which is also among his favorite stories.  We also had out blocks and explored ways to put two shapes together to make new shapes.
DSCN7095DSCN7096
And this puzzle actually has a track for a battery powered school bus and fire engine.  This was sure to attract the cats attention as well.
DSCN7097DSCN7098DSCN7099
More building took place in the living room… this time towers. 
DSCN7100DSCN7102DSCN7103
How high could we build them before they would tumble?
DSCN7105DSCN7106DSCN7108
Nathan also sorted blocks by color, size and shape.
DSCN7107DSCN7109
And he had a good time counting without any help.
DSCN7111DSCN7112
We got out paints and sponges. 
DSCN7113
We sponged shapes and dinosaurs and mixed colors together to make new colors and rainbow designs.
DSCN7116DSCN7128DSCN7141
Puzzles, train tracks and warm cozy spaces.
DSCN7122DSCN7123
In the afternoons I found Oscar enjoying the sunny patches coming through the front window.  Yes!  I think this cat is entirely at home!
DSCN7124DSCN7125
Sandy curled up in somebody elses carrier.  Did they think I wouldn’t notice who I was taking to the vet?  And actually I almost took an extra cat who had crawled in while I wasn’t looking.  Luckily I checked out the situation when the carrier felt a little heavy.  This is the second time that Scruffles has tried to smuggle herself out for an adventure to the vet when it wasn't her turn.  Last time I only discovered it because one of the kids took a peek in.  I am now automatically suspicious.
DSCN7126DSCN7127
More train stories to play.
DSCN7129
And more paper cutting with scissors.
DSCN7130DSCN7131DSCN7132
Nathan made pictures for himself and pictures to send in the mail to his cousin Porter.  They’re pen-pals these days.
DSCN7133DSCN7134DSCN7135
After watching “Tangled” I don’t know how many times Nathan, or should I say “Flynn Rider”, is loving galloping around the house with “Maximus” the horse in cowboy boots.  Nathan says he wants to be a cowboy when he grows up.  I guess he and Lindsay will be spending a lot of time together.
DSCN7136DSCN7138
Kaitlyn can now read books to Nathan quite nicely and they cozied up in the evening several times like this together.  Spooky and Scruffles cuddled up on top of the warm dishwasher on more than one occasion.
DSCN7139DSCN7140
A great way to keep warm on a chilly January day.
DSCN7143DSCN7137
I found this cutie one morning taking advantage of the sunny window…  And that squirrel watcher.  Seeing Spooky standing there like that gives a good perception of how big he really is. 
DSCN7144DSCN7145
Nathan liked getting out the seashells, listening to the ocean, and matching up shell types together.  He was also able to put them in order from smallest to biggest in size.
DSCN7147DSCN7148
Nathan worked on some ocean puzzles, some small puzzles as well as jumbo sized.
DSCN7149DSCN7150
This spider scared me around the house I don’t know how many times after he resurfaced from Halloween.  One day I found it resting on Spooky thanks to some child with a sense of humor.  And Kaitlyn thought Scruffles was so adorable that she just had to take her picture.
DSCN7151DSCN7152DSCN7153
Toward the end of the month there was a Wax Museum at school for the fourth graders and Tristan brought corn bread into school for the tasting part of the project.  We went to see our fourth grade wax statue that afternoon, of course.  Nathan had an amazing time pressing Tristan’s button on his hand and listening to him spout information.  Tristan kept right on going with his lines in front of teacher and principal despite being shoved and having his "button" pushed repeatedly by little brother.  Tristan was a good sport; a good big brother. 
DSCN7154DSCN7155DSCN7157
Some people spent a lot of money on costumes and put a great deal of time into them.  I pretty much let my kids do their own homework and I will help them or give suggestions as they solicit it.  Tristan put his costume together himself with what we already had around the house. 
DSCN7159DSCN7160
With a little over an hour between visiting the wax museum and after school pickup I decided to bundle Nathan up (it was a cold 19 degrees) and take him to Mt. Storm at the top of the hill overlooking the city in the same neighborhood as the school. 
DSCN7158DSCN7162DSCN7163
We had fun on the swings, playground and even dug up a lost lizard!
DSCN7161
Peek-a-Boo!
DSCN7164DSCN7165
We were ready to get back into a warm car before the hour was up and Nathan fell asleep for his usual car ride nap.
DSCN7166DSCN7167
Jumbo Dinosaur Puzzle.  Nathan did this puzzle over and over and over again all month long.  Remarkably he says he does not like dinosaurs… they are too scary but he sure loved this puzzle.
DSCN7169DSCN7170DSCN7172
While Nathan did puzzles Kaitlyn came home from school and worked on sewing.  She likes to work and she likes to have something to do or she’ll find something to do.  Crafts are one of Kaitlyn’s favorite things and this bunny turned out pretty cute and with very little help from me.
DSCN7173DSCN7174
Kaitlyn with her cute little bunny all finished.
DSCN7171DSCN7175
Nathan got a map postcard from his cousin and wished that Porter would live in Forks, as he studied the map, simply because it would be funny, he said.  Lindsay took Riding Lessons each Saturday morning… her Christmas present from Grammy & Pops.
DSCN7176
Some Saturday mornings I would grab someone to come and enjoy the January barnyard with me.
DSCN7177DSCN7178DSCN7179
We loved the turkey and the log cabin is always fun too.
DSCN7180DSCN7181DSCN7183
We read shark and ocean books and made up story renditions of Finding Nemo with a card game.
DSCN7184DSCN7185DSCN7186
Nathan and I took the pieces of our bird house that the squirrels had left us and rebuilt it using some nails we found down in Dad’s work bench.  Nathan thought this project was pretty grand.
  DSCN7187DSCN7188DSCN7189
He found his toy ax and chopped at some of the dead wood that had fallen, we filled the bird feeder once again and watched for wild life.
DSCN7190DSCN7239DSCN7240
A few January days were warm enough; we opened the windows and went outside to play with no coats!!!  Then one cold and snowy day a brown package arrived... with little thoughtful gifts like hot cocoa, lollipops and chocolate.  What a wonderful surprise! 
DSCN7241DSCN7223
We drank our hot cocoa on a freezing snowy quiet afternoon before heading out to pick up children.  The house got chilly again and Nathan found himself warming up with Oscar under a clean blanket from the laundry.
DSCN7238
Sandy tried warming up on the floor near the vent that the toys are sitting over.  She's got warm spots down to a science.  Most cats do.
DSCN7242DSCN7243DSCN7244
Nathan carried around his letters and lollipops in his blue gift bag for days, though the lollipops really didn't last too long. 
DSCN7245DSCN7246DSCN7247
Dinosaur puzzles, Nathan turned T-Rex and books about Dinos and Sea Creatures filled our month.

DSCN7248DSCN7249DSCN7250
Nathan made a few snowmen pictures that were fun to cut, glue and hole punch.  Nathan even drew the eyes and buttons on the snowman himself.
DSCN7251DSCN7253
We sent a couple of snowmen out in the mail and kept one for ourselves.  Nathan couldn't get enough of the puzzles.
DSCN7295DSCN7259
We built some of our own dinosaur creatures and played as many games as we could in the afternoon.
DSCN7254
One morning I knew I'd woken up to something exciting.  The cats were acting very suspicious and when I moved the dishwasher a mouse tore out from under there and raced to the refrigerator.  Then it got under the stove.  It was surrounded by the feline population... and me!  It was 6 a.m. and I was the only one up and still at home as I prepared to put dishes away and make lunch.  Knowing that the cats had this situation handled I watched as I went about my business.  Four out of five cats in my house are young.  The senior citizen of them was still lounging in bed.  These cats were batting and chasing and generally having fun without success.  I had to laugh when the 15 year old cat Sara walked out of the bedroom, took about 5 seconds to assess the situation, took once swipe under the stove and had the poor little mouse.  She took off to the basement with it in her mouth and a large following.  By this time more children were waking up to start getting cleaned up and chores done.  One of them opened the back door while I went down and retrieved Spooky who had the mouse in his mouth by now.  I carried him out back and opened up his mouth so the poor little thing could get away.  Probably straight back into the house as we went through the same process about a week later.  I get a couple of mice in the house a year usually with easy access into the garage which is attached to the house.  The cats keep the situation from causing any trouble.  It was hilarious to see Sara "show" them how it's done like she was some kind of expert. 
DSCN7255DSCN7256DSCN7257
Nathan and I had more fun building creatures with these click-it bricks.
DSCN7258DSCN7260DSCN7261
Nathan prefers building to crafting I think.  I started Nathan on this Valentine craft which he spent two minutes on and was done with.  For good!  It just didn't strike his fancy.
DSCN7262
Kaitlyn came home from a long day at school and couldn't get enough of this craft that Nathan gave up on while I made dinner that evening.
DSCN7263DSCN7264
One Saturday morning I took Nathan to Parky's Farm nearby.  I didn't know it but Nathan was going to see how many geese he could scare out of the park that morning.
DSCN7265DSCN7266
They have rules about chasing their farm chickens but no rules about geese.  Nathan chased plenty of geese that morning right off the farm and thought it was the best fun he'd had all winter.
DSCN7267DSCN7274
The kids looked for dead worms and rocks at the bottom of the tub where the pump is.  And we took a hike through the woods nearby.
DSCN7275DSCN7276
The duck pond remained peaceful, the rest of the farm empty of birds.
DSCN7277
A beautiful winter morning to ride horses.  And a great way to end January.

No comments:

Post a Comment