Every year on 3/14 my friend holds her annual Pi day Party. Just show up with a pie to share… nothing but pie. I tell my kids that this is their dinner. I don’t care which pie they eat or how much pie as long as they are polite about it, they don’t make themselves sick and they can’t tell me they are hungry later.
Since I don’t have time to feed my kids dinner with all the driving before the party starts AND there is the little fact that I’m bringing 6 or 7 hungry people I figure it’s probably pretty fair of me to bring two pies. I made homemade pie crusts that turned out super flakey. I decided to fill them with chocolate cream for one and a savory cheddar and smoked onion filled the other. The second pie is much like a quiche but without the meat.
Both pies were fantastic and we enjoyed trying the other pies on the table as well. I made pies to take and pies to stay since Rick was unable to attend but would need something to eat later after work. I was also left with a few spare crusts which I froze.
What a fun excuse for a party. What a fun excuse to eat pie!
A few days later was St. Patrick’s Day. Kaitlyn wasn’t feeling so well that day and so I stayed home from church with her. While I was starting dinner I called her into the kitchen and showed her the mess that the cats had made with their food bowl and water. She got a very serious look on her face and her eyes welled up with tears. “I think I must have brought a Leprechaun home from school in my backpack,” she whispered to me. “They make terrible messes” and she proceeded to tell me about the path of destruction the Leprechaun had left behind on Friday at school in her classroom. I told her that if she brought home that Leprechaun from school by mistake then she’d better clean up his mess and try to catch him to bring him back to school. I told her that Haley had once made a trap to catch one in first grade. Next thing I knew Kaitlyn had taken a bottle from the recycling, decorated it with stickers and set it out to try and catch the trouble maker!
Meanwhile I made Spaghetti sauce, with green salad,
Green french bread, green milk,
green jello with green cream
and finally a shamrock pie… lemon merangue turned green.
When Kaitlyn saw the food she KNEW we had a Leprechaun on the loose. We had a fun day with lots of fun food. But no pot of gold found for this year. And we never did catch that Leprechaun.
















No comments:
Post a Comment