A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Frigid

The average temperature around here at this time of year is in the mid-40’s.  I think we made it above freezing once last week and we won’t make it above that mark again until Sunday.  This morning we woke to a temperature outside of 3.  That’s pretty chilly by most standards.  Back when they built our house it was customary, at least around here, to NOT insulate slanted areas in the home which means it is a bit chilly upstairs at my house.  You can’t see your breath… and it does receive heat but it’s chilly.  And my children are accustomed to this; they don’t know any different.  And their bedrooms are a far cry from the un-insulated attic with ice an inch thick on the windows that I slept in for at least one winter myself so I know the kids are fine.  It’s just hard to get out from under those quilts in the morning.

DSCN0568     DSCN0570

Kaitlyn decided last night that she was going to put her new coat from Sophie over her double pajamas (minus the jewelry) so she could stay toasty warm.  Doesn’t she look cute with the matching hat? 

DSCN0567

The cats choice spots for sleep are anywhere directly over the heating vents.

DSCN0596

I found Nathan’s solution to keeping warm.  Wearing double socks and double pajamas he completely covered himself with all of his blankets, leaving just his little toes sticking out.  I found him snoring this way this morning when I went up to check on him after the kids left for school.  He must be warm and cozy under there to still be sleeping after all the ruckus of his older siblings getting up and out the door for school on early day.   That is… after they spent 15 minutes trying to persuade the rear passenger door of our 15 year old car to stay closed so they could leave.  (The other door wouldn’t even open, it was so cold).  A pot of hot water poured over the latch mechanism on the inside of the door finally did the job.  Suddenly early day for them wasn’t so early any more!  Happy Winter Weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment