A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Nativity

DSCN0586

This past weekend I attended a Nativity display with my family and my in-laws.  It very beautifully displayed collections of Nativities, some tiny and some larger than I would have room to display.  In my attendance I realized that in fact I have a very modest yet nice collection of Nativities in my own home even if they aren’t large or elaborate, which began my very first Christmas away from home.  During the years since then I have received some as gifts and even purchased some family friendly ones.  They have become an important part of our Christmas celebration.

 DSCN0587

Whimsy at Christmas time is fun, of course and there is a place for that too but as I had children it became even more important to me to teach my children of the true meaning of Christmas and get away from so much commercialism. Having a Nativity or two in my home is a great teaching tool and a wonderful reminder of the greatest gift of all.  I feel something when I look at these depictions of Christ’s birth and my perspective on life and who I am becomes just a little more clear.  After all, this is what it’s all about.

DSCN0582

Rick and I found this small Nativity, which still remains our largest one.  It was a bit of a splurge for us when we found it at a Christmas store in Michigan during our trip there over our first Thanksgiving back in 1994.  Rick said he’d grown up with a Nativity display at home and he thought it was important for us to have one of our own now.  For our budget back then this was the biggest one we could sort of afford (and I chuckle thinking that is still true today) but we had to have it.  We recall our fun trip to see family and friends from that time each year when we get it out.  

DSCN0580

I received this music box as a gift from my Mom’s sister, Barb, (I have two Aunt Barbs) also for our newlywed Christmas.  I believe she made it.  I know she was always very good at ceramics and it is beautiful.  My children enjoy listening to it play “Oh Little Town of Bethlehem” still today.  So do I.

DSCN0584

This small white Nativity was a gift from my brother David and his wife Trisha several years back now.  I think of them each year when I unpack and display it, simple yet beautiful.  And I remember how much I miss them.

DSCN0589

This was also a gift from David… made from the wood of an olive tree, David purchased this from a street vendor during his trip to Jerusalem which I believe he took in 1999.

DSCN0585

I believe this water globe was a Christmas gift from Rick’s sister.  It also plays “O Little Town of Bethlehem” and while this is heavy and kept up high my little ones love when I get it down at their request and show them how the sparkles swirl when it is gently shaken.

DSCN0581

This is a tree ornament which I chose back in 2003 for our annual trip to the Christmas Shop north of town with Rick’s parents; an enjoyable annual tradition at this point.  

DSCN0578

This was an inexpensive Nativity with moveable figures which I purchased so that baby Haley would be able to re-tell the story and play with the figures without worry.  Although ceramic, the pieces have been played with repeatedly over the years and have never broken, however Nathan may change that this year.  He loves to reach up and take the baby Jesus in his little one year old fist and give him a kiss.  I don’t worry.  I tell Nathan to be careful but this is, after all, the reason I bought it. 

DSCN0579

Lindsay purchased this teeny tiny Nativity set at the school Christmas Shop a couple of years ago with her own money and gave it to me for a Christmas gift.  It is very sweet and reminds me of her during her younger elementary years, still always thinking of others and always attracted to tiny things.

DSCN0577

I loved this toddler friendly Nativity; soft plushy figures, completely unbreakable for little hands and can be stowed in it’s zipper pouch stall quickly to take along as a quiet toy for church.  Again, Nathan is fascinated by baby Jesus.  I often find Him missing from his mother’s arms and have to hunt around nearby to come up with him again.

DSCN0576

This was a wonderful present from my parents to Kaitlyn on her first Christmas.  Not available in stores I clued my Mom in to the fact that this Fisher Price Little People set could be purchased on-line.  It is perfect for little hands and in fact comes out throughout the year when my little ones want to tell the story of Jesus’s birth so we don’t keep this one packed away all year like we do the rest of them.  The angel over the star can be pressed down and “Away In A Manger” plays as the star lights up.  My kids love this set and I think it will be as treasured through the years as our more fragile sets.  Can you guess which figure Nathan goes for every time and what he does with it? 

Having these Nativity scenes around has proven to be a wonderful teacher and brings out the special spirit of Christmas in our home.  I am glad that my husband brought to my attention the fact that it was important for us to have a Nativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment