A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Kaitlyn’s Snowman Cake

This birthday cake has a little story behind it to explain.  I let each of my children choose their birthday cake for their own special day.  My children are each very special and each one unique.  This is sort of my way of giving my children special treatment which doesn’t happen very often… an excuse to spoil them without spoiling them.  This means the birthday child gets to pick the flavor, the frosting and what they want the cake to look like as well as what kind of ice cream they want.  Thus I get my assignment.  Sometimes the assignment is more challenging than others and this time I had a bit of a challenge on my hands, so I felt.  For months Kaitlyn has been talking about having carrot cake for her birthday just like the one her little brother had for his first birthday that she still remembered.  That was the easy part.  Four of my five children have had carrot cake for their first birthday, the old family recipe from my Mom and it’s made with a delicious cream cheese frosting.  But Kaitlyn didn’t know what she wanted this cake to look like.  As the time grew closer some decisions had to be made.  Here was my assignment… the cakes had to be circle cakes layered on top of each other, the cake had to be blue, it shouldn’t have a boat but it should have a… SNOWMAN!    I tried gently persuading her to let me bake it in a snowman cake pan that I have or maybe having the circular cakes next to each other to make a snowman that way.  I requested that we just leave the frosting white, maybe, if this was to be a snowman.  No!   A circular layered blue frosted snowman carrot cake was my assignment!!!  I sort of came up with this as I went.

DSCN4261

I frosted the layer cakes with blue cream cheese frosting first.  Then I put three large marshmallows on a chopstick with a little frosting in between each to help them stack.  I found some left over Halloween candy and used laffy taffy and a starburst for the hat, nerds for coal eyes and mouth, a portion of an orange starburst for the nose; all stuck on with tiny dabs of frosting.  Sweet tarts made up the buttons.  I sprinkled powdered sugar lightly over the top for “snow” and colored sprinkles for fun… maybe tiny snowballs.  A cool colored blue icing accented the cake, candles were put in and lit.  We were ready to sing to our birthday girl and present her with her cake.

DSCN4263DSCN4264

She blew out all of her candles and was very pleased with her cake.  The snowman was so cute standing at its center!!!

DSCN4268

Homemade vanilla ice cream was Kaitlyn’s choice and a very good one for carrot cake.

DSCN4265DSCN4266DSCN4267

We wait patiently and politely for everyone to be served.  The birthday person always gets to take the first bite.  Dee-licious!

DSCN4269DSCN4270

Kaitlyn was delighted with her snowman cake and my challenge was a success.  And while we had plenty left for another night we carefully placed the “last” piece on a covered dish for the birthday girl to save for her later enjoyment. 

DSCN4283

Kaitlyn poses in one of her new outfits with the birthday balloon her Dad bought for her on his way home from work Thursday.  Kaitlyn had a happy, happy day and we wish her a very happy year.

1 comment:

  1. You know how far behind I am in reading your blog - I have a lot of 'catching up' to do.

    Isn't Miss Kaitlyn quite the little fashion plate? She is just sooooo cute. Does she love clothes? Is she a girly-girl?

    And Happy Belated birthday to Rick - is his b'day 12/24?

    ReplyDelete