A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Frugal Measures

It is sort of fun to keep in mind the things that I’ve done to save money.  I am enjoying the challenges of thinking outside of the box to do things differently that will help meet our needs.   Our budget is always seeming to be on a tighter and tighter crunch.  I think it shrinks all the time!  Our medical deductible will rise once again in January as will the % they skim off the top rise for the STRS for the next four years.  Our car continues to run nearing the ripe old age of 18 and child #3 is now scheduled for braces on a payment plan.  I no longer worry if I take it one day at a time while keeping an eye out on the horizon… but we are once again blessed with enough.  Besides making more laundry detergent here are some of the things I did:
DSCN6636DSCN6607
As the first frost approached I went out to the garden and scavenged for the last of its production for the year.  I found some really nice green beans and a half dozen or so green tomatoes.  The beans went into the freezer to be added to soup.  The fried green tomatoes made a nice addition to an evening meal we had.
DSCN6469DSCN6642
I roasted some granola using oats we bought in bulk several years ago as well as other foods bought in bulk or we stocked up on during some amazing sales.  This is probably our favorite quick breakfast these days and sometimes we even take it for lunches.  And I found myself without white flour!!!  I knew I was close but I did run out so I dug into the wheat flour that I’d purchased at $1.00 per 5 pound bag.  Knowing that wheat rises differently than my usual half and half bread I went after a recipe designed specifically for whole wheat bread in order to ensure it would rise properly.  Rise it did!!!  This slice on the right is sitting on a dinner plate!  It was ginormous!!!  Needless to say we all ate half sandwiches for the next several days.  It was really good too.
DSCN6541DSCN6543
Rick’s great Aunt Eleanor passed away and we were the recipients of some of her furniture from her nearby home; a beautiful chair and china cabinet which are both Vintage.  The date on the back of the china cabinet is stamped 6/28/60.  We also received some lamps, a decorative shelf, glass items, a really neat stool and some other odds and ends that are both beautiful and useful.  We also gleaned some paper products, cleaning products and food items given to us from her home.  It felt a little strange to be taking these things but it is nice to keep these beautiful and useful things in the family.  My mother-in-law was her closest living relative which is how we came to receive these things.  Otherwise they would have been donated or sold.
DSCN6671DSCN6704
We received a whole box of blue cheese containers for free because they were about to expire.  I placed them in the freezer and then pulled one small container out to make blue cheese stuffed potatoes and blue cheese dressing.  The potatoes were a great sale at $1.00 a bag and the bacon was also purchased at under $2 per pound meeting my meat price requirement.  It’s been a long time since we had bacon.  Mmmm!
DSCN6694DSCN6702
Kaitlyn went on her first field trip ever to Iron’s Fruit Farm.  She got to bring home a sweet little pumpkin from the farm she visited and when asked what she would do with her pumpkin she told everyone she was going to make it into muffins and a pie.  That’s exactly what we did and we roasted its seeds along with those from our Jack-O-Lantern as well.  No waste!
DSCN6703DSCN6706
We popped some popcorn for taking in lunches one day as a fun snack; a smart choice compared with the $4 bag of chips we could have bought.  Popped corn, home canned peaches, homemade jam on homemade bread… the only thing we didn’t produce from basics was peanut butter.
DSCN6731
And the best fun frugal project of all was digging into the dress-up box in the attic and supplementing from the backs of closets for all of this years Halloween costumes.  It even enabled some of the children to be one thing for the Halloween Party we attended and something warmer for actually trick or treating.  The kids had a blast trying things on, pairing them and choosing what to be.  More on that later…
Successful month but for one thing… the OVEN!  The whole thing blew and we had to replace it.  I made food in the crock pot or microwave for the days we were without a stove or oven.  Usually we pay cash or earn a reward and pay things off right away.  With the recent car repairs we had to have done and  a promised pay check that has not come through yet we could not afford to do that this time.  But we’re getting right back on track with the budget and planning for next years challenges.
And that sums up my economics skills put to use in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment