A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Monday, November 19, 2012

Turkey Day Songs–by Kaitlyn

Run Away Song… (to the tune of “The Farmer in the Dell”)

The Pumpkin ran away,
before Thanksgiving Day.
Said he, “They’ll make a pie of me
if I decide to stay.”

The Turkey ran away,
before Thanksgiving Day.
Said he, “They’ll make a roast of me
if I decide to stay.”

The Cranberry ran away,
before Thanksgiving Day.
Said he, “They’ll make a sauce of me
if I decide to stay.”

The Bread ran away,
before Thanksgiving Day.
Said he “They’ll make a stuffing of me
if I decide to stay.”

Kaitlyn also has learned a song called “When the Turkey Shot Out of the Oven” but cannot remember the words to complete this song.  Maybe by tomorrow she’ll learn it well enough to remember it for me.
Another Turkey Day song which we probably should not even mention is the (shhhhhh) “Ten Little Indians” which I change to “Ten Little Pilgrims” and alternate between pilgrim “girls” and pilgrim “boys” so they maintain their equality. 
I did manage to find a new song after being put on the alert by my sister Rachael.

“Turkey Dinner”… (to the tune of, oh dear I cannot spell what it is to the tune of.  I think it’s French but it is a traditional children’s song.  Think of the notes F#, G, A, F#, and repeat for the first line and you’ll have it, I promise.)  If you cannot sing this with your child using this clue then call me and I’ll serenade you!!!

Turkey dinner, turkey dinner,
Gather round, gather round,
Who will get the drum-stick?
Yummy, yummy drumstick,
All sit down, all sit down.

Cornbread muffins, chestnut stuffing,
Puddin’ pie, one foot high,
All of us were thinner
Until we came to dinner;
Me oh my!  Me oh my!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! And I loved hearing Kaitlyn sing her song for Porter and I. She was so sweet.
    I have a book that you can sing the whole thing. It goes through 1 little 2 little 3 little pilgrims, then 1 little 2 little 3 little Wampanoag ( indians) and then 1 big 2 big 3 big turkeys. It's cute, I'll have to post it on my blog!
    Thank you for writing these down for me! I can't wait to sing them with Porter.
    Also, I did find "there's a big fat turkey down on Grandpa's farm" on YouTube. Porter calls it the thanksgiving song and asks for it all the time now. Thanks for that suggestion too!

    ReplyDelete