A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Monday, May 24, 2010

Have You Ever Wondered…

I have to begin this by stating that I think I have one of the best behaved children in the WORLD in Lindsay!  That’s why this story is so unexpected… and funny.

Now, I wish that I could claim that her good behavior was all due to our parenting ability; you know, the “Nurture” that she has received from us, however since I have 5 children and they are all different I have to say that “Nature” has got some influence here.  If you took any one of my children and judged me and my parenting skills by them it would be entirely inaccurate. 

Now back to my story… the first hour of church yesterday had been humorous already and I cannot publicly tell you why, but I had to close my eyes and bite the inside of my cheek for about 5 minutes to keep from cracking up at about the midpoint.  Rick and Haley, in either direction from me, were already glancing at me and I knew if I looked at them I would have to take myself out of the meeting and I really really really didn’t want anyone’s feelings to be hurt.  I’ve only done that once before and I was pregnant at the time so I had an excuse.  Finally we were singing the closing song that Haley and I were sharing a hymnal for and had just gotten started when Lindsay stood up quietly and walked toward the door.  (I should also add that we were in the back overflow since somehow we showed up late again).  I watched her go by and figured she’d asked Rick if she could go and use the bathroom before classes began.  A couple more notes and words were sung when suddenly our lights went out and after a second flicked back on again!  I turned my head to see Lindsay quietly headed back to our row looking like she had swallowed a canary.  What had that been about?  Lindsay had gotten up, turned off the lights to the whole place, turned them back on again and sat down with a funny look and all for no apparent reason!!!  I think Haley realized and whispered to me that Lindsay had been after a hymnal up on a high shelf on the wall but the rack of chairs was in the way and Lindsay ended up hitting the light switches in trying to reach up and around.  Haley and I were both in tears by this point, trying unsuccessfully not to laugh.  I got up to get Lindsay a hymnal, mostly so I could check out how that could have happened.  I must say that I thought the light switch was pretty far in proximity to the shelf but what else can I say?  I finally pulled myself back together to sing the last verse.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you just got up in the middle of Sacrament Meeting and stood up on the pew, turned in a circle and sat back down or you burst into your own song or jumped up and decided to do a somersault down the aisle and then you acted as if nothing had happened?  It appeared to me at first that this was what Lindsay had done… and it was just so funny to me, so unexpected and so out of character.  I hope she can forgive my chuckles. 

Obviously no discipline was needed since the incident now seems unintentional and Lindsay turned 10 shades pinker than her usual skin tone; punishment enough for her!  I will not forget this Sacrament Meeting, EVER!  It was the funniest thing to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment