Cindi spent yesterday afternoon trying to catch a breeze through the open window in the living room. Cindi has always liked being warm but this very summer-like afternoon was uncomfortable even for her. Breezes are about all that Cindi, our former “huntress” catches these days.
About 5 weeks ago, Cindi came down with a pretty severe respiratory infection. It was the second one in as many months and her labored breathing was waking even me up at night. After a couple of days of this not getting any better I brought her to see her lifetime friend; Dr. B, the vet!
He seemed to think it may be a virus that needed to run it’s course, BUT Cindi had lost nearly 2 pounds since December and was under the 5 lb. mark. That needed to be checked with a blood chem. panel. The Dr. called the very next day with the results; sky high white blood cell count. We put her on antibiotics that afternoon and made an appointment for a repeat in 2 weeks. By Saturday, the “cold” was on its way out finally and Cindi could breath again. She was on the mend.
Two weeks later we go through the same thing at the vet…Results? The white blood cell count was down slightly… but still way too high… so we kept her on antibiotics with the understanding that we would repeat the blood chemistry after 2 more weeks for a third time to see if the antibiotics needed a little more time to work their magic. I read the implications. I read between the lines.
The Dr. called last evening to let me know that there had been no change for Cindi… disappointing to say the least, and he told me to consider how aggressive we want to be with a 16 year old cat. If she hadn’t had a cold I never would have even brought her in! I told him we would take a day to discuss the matter as we do realize her age and that she is already on thyroid, potassium and blood pressure meds, she suffers from arthritis to some degree and she doesn’t see well anymore, though the rest of her senses are as sharp as ever. I hate this part. I think Cindi is tired. I think she misses her Samantha. We have a lot to consider.
















No comments:
Post a Comment