A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saturday Morning Science

This was the first time the kids had seen Rick since Wednesday (hence why I must answer my children’s occasional inquiry of “is Dad dead?” around this time of year) so I put him right to work as I walked out the door to take Lindsay to her audition at 7:30 this morning.  The kitchen turned into Science Project Central as Tristan prepared and built a home made musical instrument for his final project in Science for his unit on sound due this Wednesday, the day after the final exam for the quarter.  And yes!  There is a serious study guide for the exam that I have to study in order to help him study!  For anyone who hasn’t figured this out yet, homework isn’t just for kids anymore.  As a way of forcing parent involvement teachers go to great lengths to make sure I have more homework now than I did as a student myself.  Part of that is due to the number of children I have of course, that I apparently don’t spend enough time with!!!  I have been up until 11:30 p.m.  working on projects with second graders!  (This might be part of the reason I average 5 1/2 hours of sleep per night).  However, I always try to make sure I stay as far away as possible from the homework and projects so that it is the child’s own.  I don’t believe in parents doing homework FOR kids but I am willing to consult with and supervise the child.  Rick got this duty today as I was gone with another child.  Looks like they had fun.  And I must say I’m impressed with what he got done.

DSCN0058

Nathan entertained everyone as the “Great Pumpkin” so the working process would be more fun.

DSCN0059

Rick filled the house with smells of apple as he made apple snacks for later in the dehydrator while acting as science project consultant.

DSCN0060

Meanwhile, the cat helped Tristan raid the recycling bin for raw materials for a musical instrument made of wood, metal and plastic that would make music by tapping, blowing AND plucking!

DSCN0061 DSCN0062

Looks like it was loud… AND fun!

DSCN0063  DSCN0064

Tristan looks pleased with his horn section.

DSCN0065 DSCN0066

Apple snacks are tasty before being dried as Kaitlyn becomes a taste tester.

DSCN0067 DSCN0068

Rick sports his Reds t-shirt from the last time they won the world series 20 years ago.  He hopes his support (of wearing the shirt) will help them win tomorrow’s game.  Rick got Haley involved to help with kids while the hot glue gun came out.

DSCN0073

I was surprised (and pleased) when I came home in the early afternoon to find the instrument FINISHED!!!

DSCN0074 DSCN0075

I was serenaded with “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” and “Row Row Row Your Boat” in a very original way when I asked for a demonstration.  Good work Tristan!

No comments:

Post a Comment