I’ve mentioned before that I LOVE when people ask me or my husband “if I work”. Well, I do work but not for pay.
My day began more than 12 hours ago. At about 4:45 a.m. I was woken by my youngest who’s croupy breathing a floor above me roused me from my sleep. I jumped out of bed in a flash and ran upstairs to find a scared little guy standing up in his crib with rapid barking breathing. I grabbed him up, felt for his quilty and gave him a huge hug and told him he would be OK. Making our way downstairs and turning out the lights so others could go back to sleep I closed us up in our tiny bathroom and ran the shower full blast with hot water until there was no more. The barking began to subside along with the rapid breathing and he was able to take a few drinks of water. Once the shower was off I pondered if I wanted to step outdoors into the brisk February air with him… Hmmmm. He was breathing better and stepping out of the steamy bathroom into the 50 something temperature that the rest of the downstairs is kept at made me decide against the cooler night air. We felt plenty cool enough. So we climbed into bed and there we sat, the three of us, snuggling in the early morning hours with the baby propped up with his quilty leaning sitting up against me. He was all smiles and drifted off to sleep again that way. I decided to take him back up and lay him in his own bed again, poor little guy and when I settled him in and climbed back into my own bed I asked “What time is it?” 5:59 a.m. and the alarm was just about to go off. Good thing I made it to bed early at 12:15. 4 1/2 to 5 hours is… doable. I got up and prepared for my day. After suctioning out the baby, 8:15 came and I drove one child to cello lessons, the next child to school just in time for the first bell and then took another child to spend the morning at Cincinnati’s Children’s Hospital for a planned surgical procedure. What an ordeal! Swapping kids at lunch time with my husband who kindly (and willingly) took a half day to watch the youngest ones we ate and they had some quiet time while I did laundry and returned missed calls.
Now I am making Polynesian Sausage with pineapple, rice and a green salad for my family who will be home briefly for supper before making their way back out the door to church and the YMCA for Tuesday night activities… at least the able bodied ones. A chat with my Mom, my Valentine bouquet and hopes for an early bedtime tonight all brighten my day. My day may end in another 5 hours if I’m lucky. Do I work??? You be the judge.
















If it makes you feel better, I got thrown up on 4 times on Valentine's Day and completely ran out of sheets on my bed and considered just sleeping on the couch that night. I hope Lindsay and Nathan are doing better.
ReplyDelete