After Maple Sugar Days we of course had to have a dinner of pancakes to go with the REAL maple syrup which we brought home. This is a huge treat for us which we indulge in once a year in the late winter as maple syrup is a bit on the pricey side.
We also brought home maple sugar candy which is not common around here. I jumped the first time I found this candy for sale at the park. These are not very big but they have big flavor so we split four of these amongst ourselves and stayed within our budget. The shape of these maple leaves reminds us of when and where we were married also.
Good maple syrup deserves good pancakes. I mixed up a fresh triple batch of mix; 24 cups of flour, 6 cups dry milk, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 24 tsp. baking powder, 12 tsp. baking soda, 6 tsp. salt. This makes the best batch of pancakes or waffles and is a terrific way to utilize and rotate food storage items. It’s cheap too after purchasing these ingredients in bulk! I re-use Utz’s Pretzel Rod containers. They are the perfect size for storing my homemade mixes. If this is too much product for you just reduce it back by 2/3rds.
To make these fluffy golden pancakes add one egg, 2 Tbsp. vegi oil, 1 c. water, 1 1/2 c. pancake mix. I triple or quadruple this to feed my family and sometimes I’m lucky enough to have leftovers to heat in the microwave for a quick breakfast the next day.
Just look at the beautiful sweet amber syrup dripping over the stack of cakes and puddled on the plate waiting to be sopped up.
My boys were the first ones at the table waiting for their personal stack of hotcakes. DELICIOUS! I stood flipping pancakes and serving them steaming hot as they were needed as quick as I could for about an hour. Sometimes there is nothing better than breakfast for dinner and nothing is better than real maple syrup.
















I agree...your maple syrup days are a bit ahead of us, but that is a plan on a Sat in March to visit one of the local farms & have our own....cause yours sure do look tasty! Happy march 1st!!!! spring is around the corner.
ReplyDeleteGenesee Country Village is hosting "Sap, Syrup & Sugar" every weekend in March beginning on the 12th. Wish I could go too!
ReplyDelete