A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Dinner

In the evening we had Easter dinner and set a beautiful table.  Setting the table for company was always my job growing up and I still enjoy setting a beautiful table for special occasions.  My Mom still misses me not being there to set her table. 

DSCN1622

Tulips from the yard were our centerpiece.  They smelled very nice and added color.  We also strewed violets around on the table cloth.

DSCN1627

I served a fresh fruit salad of cantaloupe, cuties, strawberries and blackberries.

DSCN1628DSCN1631

I also served a fresh flower salad with lettuce, carrot, scallion, tomato, craisins, toasted pecans and freshly picked violets.  Plus we had Irish Soda bread, a ham with glaze that had been given to us at Christmas as a gift  and cheesy potato bake.  It was delicious and there was plenty.

Dessert or No Dessert… that was the question.  I finally arrived at the conclusion last week that I should make something special… but not chocolate.

DSCN1621

So I used an old trick from my Merrie Miss days to make a cute bunny cake out of two round cakes.  I made a homemade yellow cake with lemon zest and dressed it up a little bit by making a fresh lemon filling, spreading it in between layers I cut.  Then I froze the cake to make frosting it easier… less crumbs,(and they thaw inside of two hours at room temperature).  I made a fluffy white frosting which is very similar to merangue but has the egg content cooked on the stove top before it is whipped.  I chose this frosting, in part, because it used the two egg whites I had left over from the egg yolks used in the lemon filling so there was no waste but I also knew the flavors went well together.  Then I pieced the cake together, frosted it and decorated it with left over stuff I had around the kitchen.  I thought it was cute and one child lay claim on it as a future birthday cake. 

DSCN1618DSCN1619DSCN1620

Earlier in the afternoon the kids got into their baskets before watching a video detailing the final days of the life of Jesus.  They had plenty of chocolate then.

DSCN1625

Kaitlyn and I wish everyone a happy Easter.

DSCN1626DSCN1630

Easter greetings came from the mail and Lindsay found her own special Easter surprise awaiting her.

It was a nice, quiet, low stress afternoon.  Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment