A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner

About once a week we have “breakfast for dinner” night.  Whether it’s pancakes and sausage or quiche, maybe an egg with toast or every once in a while plain old breakfast cereal, the kids love this and state that their friends are jealous of their good fortune.  Eggs are a really cheap source of protein to keep in mind when working to keep your grocery budget in check too.  I found a new breakfast dish that the whole family loves.  I was able to use up some of the ham pieces I had stored in my freezer and didn’t even hear one word about the spinach.  I’ve been having lots of fun with my new cookbook I got for Mother’s Day called Our Best Bites by Sara Wells & Kate Jones which inspired this meal below; I threw together the baked ham & egg cups while the blueberry coffee cake baked and and then I cut the fresh fruit once those egg cups were in the oven as I directed my kitchen helper in setting the table.

DSCN1756

The Blueberries ‘n Cream Coffee Cake is delicious and comes from my sister’s blog “Rachael’s Recipes”.  It has cream cheese in it!  The baked ham & egg cup was super simple and super delicious.  It’s like eating a cupcake for breakfast (only healthier) and I like how it used up little bits of ham and scallion that I had around.  12 circular deli-ham slices go into sprayed muffin tins and serve as the “liner” for your egg.  Brilliant!  Then you mix 8 eggs with 3/4 c. shredded cheddar, 1/4 c. parmesan cheese, 1/4 c. cottage cheese, 5 oz. chopped spinach, 1/3 c. chopped peppers (mushrooms would be good too), 1 oz. diced ham or bacon, 1/4 c. scallion, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. black pepper, 1/2 tsp. hot sauce.  Fill each ham lined muffin tin to the top with the egg mixture.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.  The tops will be puffed and just barely set on top.  The eggs will sink after cooling. 

This would be even simpler just served with (homemade) whole wheat toast, fresh fruit and a glass of milk.

Also, the egg freezes beautifully in an airtight container and can be taken out and microwaved for a quick delicious breakfast on a busy morning.

And can I put in a good plug for this cookbook?  I have made the most amazing things out of it for the past couple of weeks… I love it!

2 comments:

  1. You had blueberries n cream coffee cake WITH dinner? Its so sweet, it tastes like cake. I've only had it for dessert.
    We often have breakfast for dinner (eggs are one of my favorite foods). We like to make omelets or scrambled eggs with whatever veggies you have, and I make fruit smoothies with it. They taste so good together. And then you have fruit, veggies, and protein all in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that same cookbook, and I also love it!

    Breakfast for dinner is one of my kids' faves too. Usually pancakes or waffles, sometimes french toast, and always eggs!

    ReplyDelete