A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Monday, December 26, 2011

Homemade Christmas

Kaitlyn and I have been putting any spare time we might find to good use over the past two months.  In fact, if I could just get it together I would love to do a completely home made Christmas but there is always so much more to do!  Anyway, Kaitlyn and I began a joy ride of crafting a couple months ago and during the last few weeks we began in earnest to finish every thing up… with a little Christmas music streaming in the background, of course, and a bowl of M&Ms.   Maybe I should get those things out in July to give me a jump start!

DSCN4043DSCN4096

Kaitlyn and I made some felt foods together for a couple of special little boys in our lives.  There are chocolate chip cookies, heart cookies with sprinkles and fried eggs.  Not a complete meal… we ran out of time… but still fun to play with.  Kaitlyn stitched on the sprinkles herself as well as the chocolate chips and learned to stitch the edges.  She also liked stuffing them.  In the end she got help with stitching the edges because, as she puts it “I keep losing my tail”, and we were running out of time!

DSCN4087DSCN4045

I whipped up some “Jingle Mice” with catnip for some of the special cats in my life… I’d planned more but again we were running out of time.  The mice are wrapped up in blankets.  The later mice I made have little knots in the ends of their tales… they flop better that way.

DSCN4097

I’m proud of these two projects.  I paid pennies for each with scraps I bought soooooo cheap when the fabric store liquidated but they were so cute I couldn’t resist.  The remnant of fleece turned out to be smaller than I thought and had Elmo cut through the middle but “Super Grover” was still there as well as some others that Nathan is fond of.  So I trimmed it, fringed it and sewed a button and button hole on it to make a scarf which winds around Nathan’s neck (or mine) twice and secures with a button so it doesn’t fall off or have the bulk of being tied.  Maybe Nathan will give his sister’s pink poodle scarf a rest now! 

DSCN4098DSCN4101

This is a baby doll carrier… for a boy!  In dinosaur style it is also done with scraps of cotton, fleece and batting.  There is a lined, handled carrier with a mattress and pillow.  I threw together a quilt with the leftover fabric and machine quilted it quickly.  Since Nathan has an older sister who is always taking care of her doll Nathan always wants to “help” her by being the daddy.  This results in a bit of drama over who takes care of the doll and how.  Now he is better equipped for being the daddy.  This is a project that I hadn’t planned on but decided to do Thursday night.  It took me a little longer than I thought it might so the blanket I finished up in the morning on Friday. 

DSCN4099DSCN4110

Here is a side view of the doll carrier… I think it’s so cute.  And here are some tissue wrapped mice ready for kitty stockings.  I love tissue wrapped shapes in stockings.

So that is what has been going on in our spare time at the craft table.  Kaitlyn is a pleasant companion to work with and I’m lucky to have her for company.

No comments:

Post a Comment