Today was Nathan’s very first birthday and he was busy doing some more “grown up” things.
He got to drink whole milk from a sippy cup today.
Nathan got to ride in his brand new front facing car seat which was so comfortable that he fell asleep in it on the way home from story time at the library today. We realized as we purchased this car seat last week that the prices on them are “new and improved” by quite a bit since the last time we purchased one. We came to the realization that not only was the infant seat expired but probably every other car seat we own that is required by law for three of our children is expired. We’ll need a bank loan to purchase that many new car seats! At any rate, this is a nice car seat for a little boy who spends quite a bit of his time in the car during the school year.
Nathan ate Spagetti’Os with a fork all by himself for lunch. He likes eating independently now, as much as possible but will make an exception for applesauce, which he helped pick apples for, and also for chocolate ice cream.
Then he took a great nap under the fan. Pleasant temperatures make pleasant sleeping weather. Some of the others decorated the kitchen with Dad during Quiet time.
Nathan gets to sleep with a pillow in his bed now, too.
I made this special pillow for him over the weekend. It matches his Quilty, handmade and given to him a year ago. The pattern is a trimmed down version of the quilt in a pattern called “Summer Windows”. Each of my children have received a special matching pillow to their Quilty on their first birthdays.
Dinner time and the family gathered to begin the celebration.
Based on some foods that Nathan enjoys I made him a special dinner I thought he would like; Baking Powder Bisquits, Green Peas, Mashed Potatoes and Chicken Fricasee. I should have included applesauce since he loves it so much but by the time I realized it was missing it was a little late to prepare it. There was plenty to eat, though and he loved it.
After dinner we joined Nathan and “helped” him open presents. Nathan was excited that everyone was gathered to play with him in the Living Room. He was fairly uninterested in gifts and was content to play with what we already have. I think we wrapped gifts for the benefit of the other children. But Nathan got some nice things.
It took some convincing that unwrapping presents was fun.
He got the hang of it after a while but didn’t mind help.
Boys love kitty cats, too. Nathan says “cat” excitedly when ours enter the room with him. This kitty matches his cousin Porter’s.
This Fisher Price “Shoe” was first introduced the year I was born. I remember having one as a small child and it was made out of wood back then, as were the shapes and the people. They re-introduced this as one of their “classics” this year. Of course it is made of plastic now, but still fun. The kids love it.
Nathan LOVES Elmo and his new fuzzy bear.
Now for the CAKE!!!
As is my tradition, my one year olds get a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. They’ve all looked different, however and this one had a nautical theme. I made sugar cookies and hand cut them into fish and they went on the side of this triple layer cake. The frosting, actually blue though it looks green here, was stiff enough to hold my knife marks to look somewhat like water, though I admit that cake decorating is NOT my strong suit. I wish I were better. Some crushed cookies and turquoise sugar are around the bottom edge resembled sand. And the boat I made with origami. Personalizing the sail was much easier to me, than trying to write on a cake. I thought it was a pretty cute sail boat and the fish cookies were delicious. The number one candle has been used with every child of mine… it was still in the drawer so we used it again! Nathan wasn’t sure what to make of being placed on the table top. The other children assured him that this was the only time that Mom and Dad would TELL him to get on the table top. Then we sang “Happy Birthday”. It was all we could do to keep him from grabbing at the flame so we had to “help” and blow fast.
Not sure what to do at first on the table top with a cake, Nathan went slowly, but this whole tradition was well worth it this time around. He discovered that he really really liked my cream cheese frosting!!!
Nathan decided to share with his big sister, Kaitlyn. It was soooooooooooo good! Nathan got a huge piece of cake as a result of his shenanigans with the cake. He ate what he wanted and the rest he dropped overboard to the floor. It made for a fun clean-up… at least more fun than the usual.
After all that we had to CLEAN THIS BOY UP!
He was a happy little guy and seemed to enjoy this marker of growing up. And he has grown so much over the past year.
I cannot believe this baby boy is a year old already. The time goes much too quickly. We feel very lucky to have him in our family… he brings us so much joy. Certainly our Heavenly Father has blessed us immensely. I wouldn’t trade this happy little being for all the world. I know he wanted to be here with us and we are glad he is. Happy Birthday!
















He has gotten soooo big! Happy Birthday Nathan!
ReplyDeleteHappy Very First Birthday Nathan! It sounds like such a fun day. I remember the day he was born very well, it was the day we found out we were having Porter! We found out that morning and then that afternoon we got the news that Nathan arrived! It was a great day. And I cannot believe it has been a whole year.
ReplyDeleteI like your boat and fish cake. He must have been very confused that you're allowing him on the table to dig in! And the pictures of him on Lindsay's birthday are hilarious! It was ok last night, why not tonight? What a cute boy. That's sweet that Porter and Nathan have matching kitties. Porter is just getting interested in toys, so Nathan is probably having more fun with his right now, but before long Porter will be loving his too. We're excited for these two little boys to meet!