Last evening I decided to go out by myself… at least after I dropped my oldest off to go do “Dance Dance Revolution” at the YMCA. Going out alone requires a purse (and not a diaper bag) so I decided to clean mine out. I had noticed the last few times I grabbed it that it was feeling rather heavy and I no longer wanted to drag that around with me. The mystery was what was so heavy??? While I’m sure I’ll never travel as light as my Dad who can leave for a whole weekend with nothing more than luggage that fits in his glove compartment I knew that I could pare down.
Here’s what I found. 4 pennies, a wad of permission slips, a copy of “Notice of Privacy Practices”, one nickel, two size 3 diapers, 50 napkins, a cookbook, 17 straws, 2 little girls bracelets, stationary, a “Hello Kitty” watch, financial pamphlets, a family guidebook, 8 pens plus one spare cap, small hairbrush, insurance cards, assorted grocery lists, a ticket stub, one animal leash, discharge instructions x 2 from the hospital for two different children, many small beads among some Cheerio crumbs, bright yellow hubcap, three sheets of “Conference Bingo”, one AA battery, a used band aid, several Amazon Wish Lists, a Thomas the Train sticker from the Pediatrician, Lowes receipt, a ticket envelope, a battery package, 2 Post-It notepads, pack of gum, 2 church programs from two different states and one green light-up rubber frog ring. THAT was my favorite… next to the hubcap.
Let’s go through what I did NOT find in my purse. No $ beyond the 9 cents, no pocket calendar, no diaper wipes (you know, to go with the diapers), no cell phone, no keys and no wallet. No novel or magazine either! I went to retrieve my wallet from the diaper bag and remembered that my cell phone was in my coat pocket. I went to get that, relieved that I had at least cleaned out my coat pockets recently. Just keys and gloves were left in them. However as I reached in I felt an unidentified object… I pulled out an immunization needle from the Fisher Price Doctor Kit! I found my cell phone and went back to my purse. I found Nathan in there unzipping the diaper bag and strewing it’s contents around the room and leaving a trail of stuff out to the kitchen. Would I ever get out of the house?
When I returned home later in the evening without a backache from lugging around such a heavy bag I reached in to my purse to pull something out and found… the green light-up rubber frog ring was back! How in the world? Can anyone else relate?
Whether or not this recount is funny I choose to see humor in the story. And while nothing found in my purse dates back beyond 8 months ago I’m thinking I need to clean my purse out more often. But chances are it’ll be a while before that task finds itself on my priority list again.
















No comments:
Post a Comment