Nathan is proudly displaying his coloring sheet from Nursery after church on Sunday. He pointed to the corner where his name is written and said “Name. I Nathan-Porter!” And then he giggled. So obviously his cousin made an impression on him a few weeks ago.
Usually every Sunday we discuss either at the dinner table later or sometimes in the car on the way home what each of the children talked about in their classes that day and we hear funny stories about things that happened from them too. With younger kids I’ve sometimes been content just to hear who they sat next to and what their favorite song they sang that day was. Sometimes we get some really good discussion going. Sometimes we hear about some discipline issues that need to be talked about or experiences that we’ve had that relate. This week at dinner I decided to ask Nathan first what he talked about in his class. (I’m his teacher so I already know but he could have the opportunity to share with everyone… maybe). He looked at me and stated after a brief pause “… Jesus!” That’s right! I asked him what we get when we sit with our Moms & Dads in Sacrament Meeting. Brief thinking followed by “Bread” and with a little coaxing I asked “and….” “water” he responded. I was surprised and excited because sometimes when I teach these youngest of children I’m not sure how much they are actually even hearing, let alone retaining. Having had this much luck I proceeded and asked “how do you sit when you have bread and water?” Nathan quickly folded his arms and was quiet. “Good job” I praised him. He said “reverent”. (Even better). Then I asked him who we think about when we eat the bread and the water and Nathan responded again, “Jesus!”
Now if we can just APPLY this learning to the real thing… it’s getting better.
















No comments:
Post a Comment