A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Monday, August 29, 2011

Schedule Addendum

Remember that schedule I posted last week?  Scratch Mondays!  Now Rick has 7:30 a.m. Arts Meetings at least 2 Mondays a month (which is half of them) so I am packing lunches the night before for them at least because Rick and Haley are just leaving church for school directly after Seminary now.  I get to wake kids up 15 minutes earlier than their usual staggered wake-up times beginning at 6:30 a.m. so Tristan can be to Orchestra by 8 a.m. and then I drive Lindsay all the way down town for school a little early so she can find a room and practice her violin if they don’t sweep her up to a second breakfast.  She likes this set up (not the 2nd breakfast possibility) because she gets dropped off at the front door of the school instead of hiking blocks through Over-the Rhine from Rick’s parking lot.  Smiles for her… and smiles for me at naptime!  Those kids are tired.

I STILL cannot make comments on my own blog (don’t know why… can’t figure it out).  But Nathan and Tristan are my early birds.  6:30 may be dark here but they are both up there awake and get so excited to hear my foot steps on the stair so they can both leap out of bed and start a new day.  Kaitlyn is less excited about waking up by 7 a.m. and is somewhat hard to get moving but is generally cheerful after a few minutes.  She’s usually gotten enough sleep but those boys are just waiting to go!  Why is that?  They’d better still like getting up when they are teenagers.  Nice thing on Saturday is that when it does get light Tristan keeps an eye on Nathan… so nice after the years he put us through of getting up at 5 a.m.

And yes, it’s still so hot here in August, though we do catch some nights down in the 60’s with pleasant days in the 80’s but many days are unbearable and we have to close the house up and turn the AC on.  Last week it was 93 at home but down in the cement canyons of the city as I waited 30 minutes for one of my kids to get out of the school building it was 98 humid and oven-like degrees.  I had to leave the car running.  We will wear shorts through most of September.  By the end of October I may think of getting out some flannel sheets since I don’t believe in turning on heat until November.  (I have the same rule with winter coats… if you wear them in October what will you do when it really gets cold?)  I’m sure this stems from our schools in Upstate NY having some sort of rule about not turning on heat in their buildings until after November 1st.  I thought they had a good idea and it’s way easier to hold to that rule down here.  If it gets at all chilly in the house before then, usually making dinner will warm the place up enough… it’s not that big! 

But today is a wonderful break, though brief.  It was 63 at 7:30 a.m. when we left and is just going up to the mid-80’s.  My windows are open!  Smile

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, today's weather was AMAZING! In the last 2 weeks we've been trying to make up for July's lost time of weather yuckiness. I think we made up for some of it. And the little early fall weather preview is welcome to say until November.

    ReplyDelete