A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Friday, November 25, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

DSCN3911

I love that Thanksgiving gives us opportunity each year at the end of the harvest season to take inventory of the plentiful blessings which God gives to us in great bounty.  This year we were invited to Rick’s parents house to give thanks.  We were to bring pie and rolls for the feast.  And feast, we did! 

DSCN3925DSCN3931

Here is a picture of my apple crumble pie featuring apples we picked 2 1/2 months ago.  On the right is my creamy blueberry supreme pie with a graham cracker crust; a blue ribbon winner.

DSCN3933DSCN3935

I also made a chocolate chip pie which one child of mine insists upon and is always a favorite loved among all, second only to pumpkin pie’s popularity which Rick’s Dad made.  It is not Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie… and of course whipped cream which I freshly whipped a big bowl full of.

DSCN3927DSCN3924

Rolls AND biscuits this year… my sister in law made sweet potato biscuits two years ago and they were soooo good.  Plus they made great turkey sandwiches the next day for lunch.  So I found a recipe for them on Martha Stewart and they were just as good as I remembered Stacey’s being and not hard to make at all.  Crescent Rolls are traditional and my kids say they are the “best” part of the meal.  I made 6 dozen to ensure there would be some for leftovers.  Of course I had been baking all day without fixing any food for myself so of course I was more than ready to taste test my rolls.  I had to make sure they were baked through, or not burnt, or… well I was hungry.  AND apparently someone else was hungry too.

DSCN3922DSCN3923

Sara came out to visit me in the kitchen and found me with a piping hot roll.  And she made it clear that she wished for a taste as well so I indulged.  After all it IS Thanksgiving and I wasn’t even roasting her a turkey this year.  The rolls passed her taste test and we split this decadent roll fair and square.  She was one happy cat.  So funny!

DSCN3906

We are thankful for all that we have and wish all our family and friends we are missing this year a very happy season of Thanksgiving.  We have so much to be grateful for.

4 comments:

  1. Send me a nice big slice of that chocolate chip pie!!! YUMMM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One decent sized slice was all that was left of it! I might have to make two next year... it was THE most sought after pie we had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Everything looks delicious!
    I made chocolate chip pie and that was raved over. Everyone said they had never had chocolate chip pie before, but they loved it. I also made pecan pie and a pumpkin cheesecake. Mine were the only homemade desserts, believe it or not! I was going to make more, but it was plenty, we had leftovers to bring home. But I have still have all the makings of chocolate mousse pie and pumpkin pie. I may still make them for Sunday dinner or something, perhaps when I have the missionaries over this weekend.
    Sara is so cute with that roll. Aiden loves those rolls too. He even loves the roll dough! We discovered that his very first Christmas after having him only a few weeks. I thought that was pretty different that he liked dough. But he has ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a cat go after those rolls before... and it's not even like Sara is a kitten so I was surprised that she wanted one so badly. But who can blame her... and Aiden!!! They are delicious. Everyone always raves over that pie and has never heard of a chocolate chip pie before. And I'm sure I still have enough cream in my fridge that I bought for Thanksgiving and didn't use for that chocolate cream pie too. I was thinking I would have to make that soon since we didn't have it for Thanksgiving (we already had plenty and I didn't think it would travel too well). Great minds think alike! But yes it will have to be a Sunday dessert as I am trying to cut back and it's a month of cookies and parties anyway.

    ReplyDelete