A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Monday, June 4, 2012

Birthday Holiday!

So we celebrated my birthday and I now joke that if with age comes wisdom then I now have the answer to life, the universe and everything.  That’s what turning 42 does for me.  42???  I think it might take me all year to get used to that number.

I already covered picking strawberries in the morning.  After working outdoors in the garden for a couple of hours and then taking a break from extreme heat by reading a book outdoors on the swing we continued the celebration indoors in the cool of the AC. 

DSCN5252

This picture deserves a post all by itself but I now introduce you to Oscar, who came as a birthday gift arriving on May 12, actually.  Oscar is a rescue from an abandoned horse farm and is sooo sweet.  At five years of age he just wants to be loved, that is all.  He is terrific with the kids and just goes from person to person giving (and receiving) affection.  He responded to his name the first time I called him and every time since so I don’t feel I can change it.  Rick thought maybe we could call him Scar for short to go with the other “S” cat names we have but somehow that sounds to rough and doesn’t accurately portray Oscar’s personality at all.  Oscar has two ears that are identically clipped on each side.  He apparently lived with an “obnoxious little boy” (someone else’s exact words) and I imagine his ears were neatly cut with scissors, once upon a time.  There is a pale scar descending down each ear just a little past his cut.  Despite being a farm cat he is taking to city life enjoying the great outdoors from the safety of windows.  He just seems to be a loving and well adjusted cat who is bonding with his new humans and has the other cats coming to terms with sharing their space with a new resident.   I love having Oscar around.  He fits right in but he is the last one that will be fitting in.  Five cats now… I’ve reached my limit for sure!

DSCN5229DSCN5228

We roasted some white hots, imported from Rochester last summer) outdoors on the charcoal grill as well as a few regular hot dogs.  Of course we had to have fresh strawberries and Rick also made baked beans, always a picnic favorite.

DSCN5230

Corn on the cob was roasted and buttered.  Dinner was enjoyed.

DSCN5236DSCN5242

Nathan gave me a cute smile for my birthday and the kids wrote me a nice card.  I got a few packages in the mail.  My Mom sent me some earrings called “backyard swing” which reminded her of the poem I loved and memorized as a young child.  I still love that poem today.

DSCN5248DSCN5249

Some of my kids gave me a huge hug that kept getting bigger and bigger.

DSCN5250

Nobody wanted to be left out of this hug.

DSCN5254DSCN5255

My cake this year was a chocolate cream pie, which I used left over Oreos from the crust and fresh picked strawberries for a garnish. It turned out really pretty looking and so delicious.  Rick made chocolate Oreo ice cream to go with it.  Boy was that rich!  Boy did I get some chocolate! 

DSCN5257

Here’s a picture of what I got for my birthday.  Several more cookbooks to add to my collection, a novel, necklace and earrings, a new set of scriptures to replace my falling apart ones I got for seminary back in 1985 and a surprise package with a notebook, some chocolate and a pillowcase to make from my GAJ.  Other than the heat, it was a very nice day and I enjoyed celebrating it with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment