A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Friday, June 15, 2012

Rochester, NY–Chill N Grill

On Friday June 1st, we went for a quick weekend up to Rochester, New York to see my sister, now living in Washington State and her new “days old” baby before they left again.  Of course we enjoyed visiting with the rest of the family that is up there too, but not knowing when I’ll be able to see my youngest sister and her family again is what gave us the incentive to pay a visit there when we did. 
A few things about our trip.  First off, quick was quick!  So we had to make the most of our little time there that we did have.  Most of what we like to do there didn’t get done and what we did do there was cut pretty short.  And second, I wouldn’t call any 500 mile trip a weekend trip ordinarily.  That is just too far to drive for the weekend but as stated, we got to see my sister while she was on this half of the continent; that’s important.  The third factor involved was the cost of a hotel room for 7 people for 3 nights cost us a months worth of mortgage!  Well, very very close to it.  And so our trip there was very short while our time in the car with five kids was very VERY long.  Not bad, just long. 
If “too quick” was the worst part about our trip, however, then I say it was a pretty good trip.  We got to see the people we love and that was most important.  For me, I got to see three of my five siblings in one day!!!  And we saw four of our nephews/cousins, my parents, my Aunt, my two brother-in-laws/my children’s Uncles and I got to hug some old friends as well.
DSCN5268DSCN5269
So our second stop (after our first to my parent’s house) was our “new” favorite diner is more like a road stand at the Chill N Grill outside of Palmyra, New York.  They do have outdoor seating at picnic tables though.  We only just discovered it last year on my sister Rachael’s recommendation.  After we were home again last year Tristan wished he could jet there for his birthday dinner!!!  And Lindsay is seriously thinking of getting married there just so she can go to the Chill N Grill afterwards!!!  Nathan took his hot dog pretty seriously in the above pictures eating it like a corn on the cob leaving himself with a nice (funny) ketchup mustache.  He took the opportunity to talk about his upcoming “hot dog birthday” only a week away.  Nathan REALLY likes hot dogs.  He doesn’t eat them often but he does like them quite a bit apparently.
DSCN5271DSCN5272
A regional thing up there is called a "Garbage Plate”.  Believe it or not I’ve never eaten one even having lived there for 9 years; 6 years of them college years.  The most famous one you can get is at Nick Tahoes (sp?) and maybe one of these times I go for a visit someone will want to go with me and get one.  Maybe???  Anyway, it’s just a little of everything thrown together on a plate like the one my Mom enjoyed.  (I don't think that she appreciated me taking this picture). 
DSCN5273DSCN5274DSCN5275
Kaitlyn and Nathan got half kiddie cones.  They were huge!!!  And Tristan got some cool flavors of ice cream on his cone.  Most of the time I’m a totally chocolate girl but I like to get the vanilla chocolate twist here.  It just looks cool.  Important to note that we skipped over the area’s infamous custard for these cones.  But they were good.  Very good!
DSCN5276
Our family of 12 took up half of the outdoor seating at two picnic tables.
DSCN5277
Our 13th member was napping in the open windowed car that was within our view the whole time during our late afternoon lunch.  He woke up just as I was getting ready to load my kids into the van next to him.  I peeked into his window just as he was rousing and asked him if he wanted me to get his Mommy or Daddy.  He nodded yes.  Luckily we’d gotten reacquainted earlier in the day so he did know who I was as I talked to him through his car window. 
We had a fun afternoon meal together at one of our favorite places.

No comments:

Post a Comment