When I left home I made sure to arm myself with a few of my very most favorite recipes from my childhood years including my Mom’s recipe for “Whoopie Pies”. I saw a morning news segment last week featuring a NYC restaurant owner who serves these old favorites on his dessert menu and it reminded me that it has been years since I attempted making these.
Mmmmmm! How many times did I bounce down the sidewalk a block and a half to my elementary school in Berkley carrying a tupperware container full of these goodies to share with my class to celebrate my birthday or a classroom party or help my younger brothers do the same???
I’ll admit that I’ve only made these one other time since I’ve been married. That first time was in the beginning before I had any children to help me eat them… but I was also a budding chef/baker at the time… and for some reason they were nothing like my Mom’s and just didn’t turn out too great. Disappointed, I was leary of making them again. But having been reminded of them and with needing to bring a refreshment for the Pinewood Derby I decided to attempt the recipe again. If they turned out well I’d have others helping to eat them too. And this time I made them with no trouble at all while I did five other things at the same time. I don’t know what I did wrong the last time I made them. Perhaps I didn’t follow my “cookie rules” that I’ve developed over the years or maybe I didn’t heat the flour and milk for the filling the right way to properly thicken it but this time they were fantastic, just as they should be! I brought a baker’s dozen to the Pinewood Derby and they were gone in a wink. I had set a few aside at home and my own family had to come home to try one out. I will also add that as I taste tested one before leaving home I felt transported through time back to my childhood days with Mom in the kitchen making these for me and all was right with my world.
















No comments:
Post a Comment