Each year, School for Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA… not SPCA) auditions students, has call-backs for a few and begins rehearsals for their major musical which is put on sometime in the month of November usually, though once it was October to coincide with Tall Stacks, a major event in the city down on the Ohio River. This is not their only musical of the year by a long shot but it is the one which involves students in grades 5-12 and so is the most inclusive with a wide array of ages. The entire thing is done by students with adults overseeing it. My husband is one of those involved teachers who teaches and then oversees the vocals most years and sometimes he plays in the pit… or both! Over the months he turns the reigns over to students. The stage manager is a student, the lighting, props, sound, orchestra, scenery, stage crew, singers, dancers, actors and costume designers… all students. This school is a training ground for the real world and these students exhibit real talent. Some of them do go on to make a living at this. There are a few who have even gone on to become “Stars”. But while this school is considered a “tech school” it does provide a very rigorous college prep program there for the taking so that students who are gifted academically as well have gone on to receive college educations at some of the finest Universities. Regardless, I think it provides a creative outlet and puts a little more joy into the educational process that often seems lost in these days of endless state testing and budget cutting.
My husband puts endless hours into what I like to call his “3rd job” each year. (His 2nd job I consider to be his position as Lead Teacher and Dept. Chair which require additional hours, additional certification and are interviewed for and paid for separately). I’d go as far as to say that he deserves his 8 weeks off in the summer time with all of the extra time he works the rest of the year if he doesn’t happen to find a summer gig to make a few bucks. Putting this musical together involves time before school, many hours after school and weekend hours on Saturdays as well as a few Sundays. Often I’m even tired of the music by “show time” but then I always love the musical itself when I get to go and see the finished product.
Both of my daughters who attend SCPA auditioned for the musical. One was required to as a drama major. Both made it in for their vocal ability. They are pretty good singers. Haley used to be a vocal major until this first year of High School when she had to cut something to make room for her true love; Orchestra which now takes more time. She was happy to have the opportunity to sing again and decided not to play in the pit, which was her other option for being involved. Lindsay made it into the school with Vocal offered to her as a major but turned it down to use her talents in drama and instrumental.
My Mom HATES musicals! She hates them… but she LOVES Brigadoon which seems odd accept for the fact that since it’s main story, quite magical by the way, takes place in Scotland (my mother’s favorite place in the world which she hopes to one day visit) and involves bagpipes (a favorite of my Mom’s and yes there were actual bagpipe playing men wearing Kilts) I can see why she would like this musical if she were to like one at all. This would have been the one musical for my Mom to come and see. Not only were there bagpipes and kilts and incredible scenery, singing and dancing but two of her grand daughters were performing in it. One of whom had a small solo and both who were coached in the art of speaking and singing with a proper Scottish accent. I’ll admit that one has to think twice before making a 1,000 mile round trip in the car, however.
Enjoy the following scenes which Rick snapped pictures of from his little seat in the back of The Corbett Theater during the last show. I included the best pics and left out most of the blurry ones but nothing compares to actually sitting there to see the show. It was fantastic, yet again. Look carefully and you might just find Haley and Lindsay on the stage. Both are there quite a bit through Act I.
Intermission
The end! Within minutes of the final bow and curtsy the scenery begins the breaking down process. The dressing rooms also get a thorough cleaning after a long week of shows. All costumes and props are turned in and yes, there are a few tears. What these students have been living and breathing for months is over. Regaining “normal” takes a little time.
The kids had a real sense of humor flying through the rooms armed with windex and paper towels as they went through the cleanup process.
Next post will have some fun cast pics.
















As soon as I can sit down with my girls and get more info I will post their pics from backstage.
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures and reading all about it! I just wish we could have seen it :-)
ReplyDelete