A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Stir Crazy

DSCN7880

We DID have a snow day today which translated into Pajama Day for my kids.  Everyone needs one of those every so often.  In the later morning hours we got out paper, scissors, sponges, markers, glue, stencils, paint, stickers and hole punch to make some Valentines at the kitchen table.

DSCN7882

Tristan makes one for his most recent “Crush”.

DSCN7883

Lindsay makes some to give to her best friends at school.

DSCN7885

Haley works on some for a YW Valentine Party which she hopes won’t be cancelled tonight.  (It was cancelled so I told her to save them for the actual date…she’ll see her friends at church ON Feb. 14th anyway.)

DSCN7886

This kept the kids and the cat busy for quite some time.  The household was NOT quiet, however, since Nathan was announcing to the world that it was lunch time.

DSCN7888

While Nathan got some fruit and oatmeal, the rest of us enjoyed these broiled ham and cheese sandwiches with fresh berries, cottage cheese and pretzels. 

DSCN7889

Since the kitchen was taken over with craft materials, the kids had a picnic in the living room and watched “Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown”.  It’s times like this when I’m missing my deck for its living space.

DSCN7890

Nathan went down for a nap, therefore the other kids were STILL in their pajamas and without clothing when they decided to go outside, or rather I decided some of them would go outside…no matter what.  The others followed, even in PJ’s!

Kaitlyn helped sweep some snow away.  Like rakes, we only have one snow shovel.  We need to fix that too.

DSCN7891

Although…Kate’s old coal shovel is another option.

DSCN7892

The two sleds came out of storage in the garage.

DSCN7894

DSCN7895

 

 

DSCN7896

The kids gave up on the shoveling long before Rick was done shoveling.

They had a lot of fun sliding down the small grade that is our front yard. 

There is absolutely NO Big Bertha around here… not even close.  I’ve looked…and looked and looked and looked.

DSCN7893

 

Is that a PLASTIC shovel???

 

This snow was pretty heavy.  If the kids are off tomorrow, I think we’ll head out to make a snowman.

 

 

Kaitlyn REALLY ought to have longer socks. 

DSCN7897

Sledding soon gave way to a snowball fight.

DSCN7901

Go get him, Tristan!

DSCN7902

DSCN7904

Tristan ended up tasting a bit of a snowball.

DSCN7905

My kids need to work on their aim.

DSCN7906

 

The bushes look pretty.  They are very heavy with snow.

DSCN7898

DSCN7908

 

Back inside, the wet mitten collection begins to grow as the kids come in one by one.  Wet shoes collect and puddles grow, spilling out into the living room. 

 

Grab a towel…or a mop.

 

 

DSCN7913

Awake from his nap, Nathan is content to play inside the house with a heart shaped cookie cutter left over from the morning’s art projects.

I got a little bit of work done on my baby projects before he woke up.

 

 

 

DSCN7910

 

Kaitlyn found adventure in the living room and kept an eye out for that “Monster” that kept threatening to sneak up on her.  Squeals from the next room could be heard during dinner preparations.

She wears a compass on her arm and the backpack is armed with a map so “you know which direction you are going”.

 

DSCN7907

 

My kids haven’t been outside at school in weeks.  The policy is that they don’t go out if it is under 32 degrees!!!  I think after Saturday’s snow cancelled Y classes, no school Monday or Tuesday and probably tomorrow (since we’re still under a snow emergency and more snow is expected tonight) I’m going to remove this from my front door.  I like a good snow day but my kids are going stir crazy.  We may have had enough now. 

Where is my Valentine Wreath, anyway???

4 comments:

  1. Under 32 degrees?! The policy here is under 0 degrees no outside recess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so cute! I just love reading it and finding out what all of you are up to. Sounds like you've had a lot of 'winter' for Cincinnati!

    Love, Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your snowfall so far this year is like 24 "?! I just heard the other day on the news that we've had about 64" so far and I was thinking it really hasn't been a very bad winter at all. I just read back through one of my journals a little the other day and apparently we had 112" by this time back in 2003. We are so happy when the temp gets up to 32'. It was about 30' today and I had to take off my coat! And the sun actually graced us with its presence, it was wonderful! Anyway, it looks like you guys had a lot of fun with your snow days. I have a Let It Snow sign up too, I almost took it down recently, but figured its going to keep snowing anyway. Oh yeah, is your stove working again or did you get a new one? I bought everything to make those grilled subs, they look so good! Don't forget to send your birthday cheesecake recipe and while you're at it, send the marble cheesecake one too because I don't have that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think our snowfall is up to 27 inches now but yes...our average annual is 24 and the ave. high temp for this time of year is 42!!! Aren't we wimps? And this place is not built for the snow that is on the ground right now. I'm happy to have snow because there is nothing worse than a sunny winter day with no snow. Everything just looks dead and stark and nothing exciting happens. The snow is pretty. Yes, my stove just got fixed on Thursday from 5 - 7 p.m. Halleluia! But that had to be THE worst time for them to come and take over my kitchen...and on parent teacher conference night! The stove guy was able to partially fix it the first time around a week ago. Now it is done. Cheesecakes...I'll get to it...soon.

    ReplyDelete