On Saturday January 30th, we celebrated Haley’s 13th Birthday!
She officially entered her teenage years and we officially became parents of a teenager for the first time!!! Am I ready for this???
The day was filled with swim classes and workouts in the morning and Rick was at a 3 day state music conference, but the evening was Haley’s. She wanted to go to Chipotle for dinner and so the whole family went. Before entering the restaurant we removed all hats, hoods, scarves and gloves at the request of the police order on the door! (You can read between the lines on that one keeping in mind our conceal and carry law.)
We sat at two different tables next to each other and had a great time. The burritos are the size of footballs! The younger kids ordered cheese quesadillas which are not on the menu; you just have to know to ask. Sometimes they only cost 50 cents and other times they cost more; you never know. Tonight they cost more. Everyone shared paper bags of chips and corn salsa.
Kaitlyn, considering herself an expert on birthdays now, decided to help make the frosting and put the candles in the cake. She needed a little help to count to 13 with them. They were rolling around too much.
Nathan really loves his big sister.
The two of them decided that presents were next so we could work up an appetite for the cake and ice cream.
Nathan amused himself with the kitty cat during presents.
Cindi must be present at every family function.
He is very gentle with her and is learning the word “soft”. Cindi seems to come requesting his attention lately. She’s still quicker than he is if needs be.
He went over to visit the birthday girl a few times as well.
Nathan likes his newfound mobility.
All of Haley’s cards made reference to her being a teenager now.
I will be the mother of a teenager for the next 19 1/2 years! Do they make cards for that?
Besides clothes, books, Harry Potter computer game and a wallet, the younger kids wrapped a stuffed animal they took from Haley years ago. Haley complained about it often enough that they decided to give it back to her.
How nice!
Haley LOVES this and is hoping it fits.
Lindsay also LOVES this and is hoping it doesn’t
There is a matching necklace too.
New spring PJ’s with matching slippers.
The verdict…IT FITS…barely.
And it is so cute on her.
13 candles don this frosted cheesecake and created a surprising amount of heat. In fact, the smoke alarm went off with all these candles. (Let’s not light candles on MY next birthday cake).
This had to be one of the best cheesecakes EVER!!! and it was very easy to make. The frosting is made of 3 Hershey bars melted and cooled to room temperature and then stirred gently into 2 cups of whipped cream with mini chips on top. The crust is butter and an entire package of Oreos. The cheesecake has 3 blocks of cream cheese in it and we used mini chocolate chips for a finer texture. The eggs were barely mixed into the cake before the chocolate chips were stirred in and so there was not a single crack in this cake. Perhaps I’ve mastered the cheesecake after all these years. (Cheesecake is how Rick and I got together… well, sort of). It was delicious. The ice cream served was Extreme Moose Tracks. Very rich but very yummy!
Haley ended her birthday by getting in her 45 minutes of violin practice while the other kids filed through the bathroom. Nathan loves listening to everyone’s instrumental practice. He is very interested in the sounds and rhythm. When Haley had her parents to herself, she watched Jurassic Park, something she has been waiting a while to do. Tristan has been counting down for 3 years already until he can watch this movie when he’s 13. I hope it’s worth the wait. Personally, this movie is as scary as I like to get. Haley enjoyed it and enjoyed her day.
After sleeping in (Stake Conference at 2 p.m.) we made Cinnamon Rolls (a day late but more relaxed) for breakfast along with a fresh fruit bowl. Sometimes we color the icing and add sprinkles just for fun. And this was one of those occasions.
Happy Birthday Haley!
















I concur about the cheesecake! I always tell Heather that her marble cheesecake clinched the deal to get married. And this cheesecake for Haley's birthday is DEFINITELY rival material for the "marriage" cheesecake.
ReplyDeleteAs far as parenting a teenager, WHERE DOES THE TIME GO?!?!
I am amazed at how much Haley has grown up. She works hard in school and on the violin - being very self-driven about it.
Haley doesn't get it just yet, though... She says she doesn't understand why everyone is asking her how it feels to be a teenager... I told her that she would understand at some point.
Happy Birthday Haley!!
ReplyDeleteAnd Heather... It is not nice to tease pregnant people with pictures of gorgeous cheesecake! Don't make me and Rachael have to come down there... She is entirely too close to her due date... So I think you should have to bring some up here! :)
Molly, maybe you should hire me to come up there and make you one for your baby shower...let me know...Hteh
ReplyDeleteHow do I go about this?? How about, "You're hired!" OK, now you can come on up here! Hee Hee! And it is mothers day weekend so bring the kids and all of us mothers can celebrate together!
ReplyDeleteHappy 13th Birthday Haley! I see my card on that door, I bought it practically a year ago, I thought it was so cute. After seeing your dinner at Chipotle I couldn't stop thinking about it all that night and couldn't fall asleep! I made Isaac take me for dinner the very next evening. Strange since we've been there only like twice (Chipotle just came to Rochester this summer, and we had it once in Minnesota). I must say I haven't had any cravings at all, but that might count as one. I love the spicy steak. And I tried the corn salsa on my burrito since you thought it was good. I think their chips are too salty, so we skipped those. I like the burritos or the soft tacos. Do you ever go to Moe's? We love Moe's, that is my favorite! I love the Nachos and they have giant burritos and their steak is very savory. And we love their green cilantro sauce.
ReplyDeleteAlso, your cheesecake looks delicious! Send the recipe right away! I bought a box of oreos and Isaac thought I was making your cake, sadly no, but I thought I need to! I just read Molly's comments, you just have to make it yourself Molly! I love baking cakes. I have quite a few different cake recipes on my recipe blog, you should check that out. The caramel turtle cheesecake I made for Isaac's birthday a couple years ago was really good.
I love Haley's new black dress. Where did that come from? I was with mom when she bought Haley's gift, it is so cute. She can exchange it for a different size. Or just wear it unbuttoned. I have several jackets slightly small I wear unbuttoned and not just now with my tummy, (there's plenty more I have to wear unbuttoned right now). It shows the shirt better.
Your cinnamon buns looks very festive! I love the bright pink frosting, great idea!
Thanks! The black dress is from Target! It looks great on her.
ReplyDeleteI forgot...that is the biggest size that store carries down here. I'd have to order a larger size in order to get it.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Haley from your waaaaaay behind Aunt! I see you got the second Hunger Games book. It is so good though I had to put it down several times because it made me so nervous. I have another recommendation for you "When You Reach Me" oh and you should also read the "Cross Your Heart and Hope to Spy" series.
ReplyDeleteHeather, I think we had that same cheesecake last night at book club - yum!