A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Grateful…

Today I am very grateful that I am not serving the Jury Duty I was originally summoned to serve for 2 weeks beginning April 10th.  A high profile case of husband dismembering his wife is going on this week at the courthouse; quite a gruesome case based on what I’ve seen on the news.  I wrote a letter last month requesting excusal from service which was granted by the Sheriff thankfully.  It would have caused a hardship on my family and young children.  Aside from figuring out daycare (which would either have to be free or would be very expensive) and transportation for 3 other children, throwing in the word “breast” (as in milk, feeding and pumping) a few times so there would be no confusion as to the situation seemed to do the trick for me.  Interestingly, there is a long checklist they give as acceptable reasons to request excusal including being a primary caretaker for elderly parents with illness… but nothing resembling being a primary caretaker of young children or breastfeeding is on the checklist.  While I realize that I am in the minority of women, I find this fact completely amazing.  I am grateful not to be in on such a serious and gruesomely detailed court case and to be focusing on my family, the house I’m trying to sell and my calling at church where I am in charge of a major event next Tuesday night.  I don’t need that much more stress.  Thankful and grateful is what I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment