A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Lindsay’s 2K Heart Mini Marathon

 

DSCN8345

Last weekend Lindsay ran the Heart Mini for the fourth consecutive year.  I remember her telling me 3 years ago, in second grade, that she was thinking of joining the running team at school because she “liked to run, after all”.  I was thoughtful for a moment as I realized that yes in fact she did like to run.  So I agreed that she should give it a try and she’s been running ever since, and absolutely loving it.  For anyone concerned about her running marathons, her pediatrician gives his blessing. 

He asked how often she trains and how far she runs and says it’s perfectly fine and perfectly healthy.

Lindsay and her friend Mary Anne, also one of 5 kids, met up with Snoopy in the lobby of a downtown hotel, where the team was to meet up before the race.  Some kids were missing as it was Spring Break, plus the weather kept a few more people away as well.

DSCN8346

DSCN8347

Then it was down to business as the stretching began in preparation for the big run.  She was micro-chipped as well.

DSCN8348

DSCN8349

Kaitlyn and Nathan decided to switch spots for a little while.  It wouldn’t be the right day for a run in March in Cincinnati without cool, breezy, rainy weather, but we were ready for it.

DSCN8350

 

Nathan was happiest with me.  I have to admit that he is good entertainment for me, too.  He’s just getting a little heavy at 18 1/2 pounds.  Don’t ask me to arm wrestle you anytime soon.  I’ll win!

 

 

DSCN8351

 

Haley came to support her sister but isn’t thrilled with Dad taking a picture of her.  I don’t know where Tristan is.  A video camera is usually better when it comes to  getting pictures of him… or the sports setting maybe… but he is not far.

 

 

DSCN8352 

Lindsay poses with her team for a group picture just as they leave to go find the starting line.  Lindsay’s bib is 850.

 

 

 

DSCN8354

 

Many streets are blocked off for this run through part of down town.  Proctor and Gamble headquarters are the twin buildings in the background through the buildings close up.  Mounted Police and policemen on bikes keep patrol of the streets.

 

 

DSCN8355

Lindsay is behind the starting line waiting for the loud boom of the canon to begin the race.  It is loud, shaking the ground you stand on and adds to the excitement.  The Cincinnati Reds “Gapper” and… “Mr. Red” (I think) are wandering through the crowds getting everyone riled up and excited, as well.  Snoopy is out there too and actually races the first place winner back to the finish line for the final few feet.  That gets the kid going with a little final excitement.

 

So just as we were heading to our spectator positions, Kaitlyn had to use the bathroom so Rick took her and I went down past the theater to get a better look at the individual runners rather than the crowd of them as they were let out of the gates.  I figured it would make for better pictures of Lindsay as she ran.  Seeing Rick approaching with only a minute to go before the start of the race we waved and waved to him and in the end, he turned around for some reason, not seeing us!  And he had kept the camera with him!  He told me he got some good pictures.  I’m not seeing them here.  Desperately I decided to figure out how to take a picture with my new cell phone in the 30 seconds I had to spare, which I did.  But now I don’t know how to download them.  They are “stuck” on my phone.  (I hate technology… why does it all have to be so complicated?)  Next time I’m keeping the camera, no matter what.

We caught a glimpse of Lindsay returning from her trek up the bridge as she made her way to the finish line.  In a sea of yellow shirts she was easy to spot with her quick bright blue legs, even from a distance.  As she sped along Haley and I were sure she had beat last years time by several minutes.  She seemed fast.

Lindsay’s overall place was 19 out of 148 runners.

Lindsay’s division place: 5 out of 81

Lindsay’s gender place was 5 out of 88

DSCN8360

 

Lindsay is seen here with her medal for running this years race.  She ran 2K in 9 minutes 21 seconds at a pace of 7:33 (min. per mile).

I wish I’d had those legs back when I had a mile to walk to school.  Maybe I’d have gotten there on time for homeroom at 7:45 a.m. more often instead of learning to sneak in the side door of the school prying it open with my fingertips to get past the sentries and hiding with my friends from truant officers behind the buildings across from Monroe High School.   

Great Job Lindsay!  Good Run!

Now she prepares for her 5K in less than a month.

DSCN8362

 

After the race you’d have thought this little guy ran it.  He was too tired to eat his lunch, obviously.

1 comment: