Twice a year for 6 years I have been putting on a Recognition Night for the girls in Activity Days that I work with at church, ages 8 through 11. On average I have 30 people show up for these special evenings. It takes me 2 hours to set up in the morning and about an hour to tear down and clean up at night. It might take less time to set up without the help of two small children, but they do help getting tables out of storage, moving pianos, putting white lights on the tree, setting up chairs, making sure ice cubes are made, putting out plate ware, cups, silverware, etc. and it shows them that service is important. Nathan thought it would be helpful to pull table cloths off the tables repeatedly instead of playing the piano. I did a lot of my work during the second hour one handed. In the months prior to Recognition Night I have spent anywhere from 40 to 80 hours of time planning, preparing and creating materials for it. As soon as one night is done I begin planning the next.
“Walk Tall… You’re a Daughter of God” was my theme for the Program this spring.
“The Family: A Proclamation to the World” was incorporated into the theme of the evening. It is like a map giving guidance and direction toward a happy life.
One thing I like about the Proclamation is that it is not just for one kind of family or another. It is for EVERYONE. It is for all of God’s children, no matter what your circumstances are. And yes! It’s even for kids!
Each girl is going home with a framed portrait of her family with a copy of “The Family Proclamation” overlaying it in vellum. They turned out beautifully. The girls each decorated the matting for these in early March.
The girls are recognized for their accomplishments on this evening and earn charms as they complete goals in this four year program; their final Primary years as they prepare to become Young Women. This is how I chose to package their charms to tie with the theme this time. The labels on the boxes match the Programs I made as well as invitations which were sent out in the mail last week.
Each girl I work with gets this personalized tote bag which I make for them. Each flower represents one of the areas we work on: Learning and Living the Gospel, Developing Talents and Serving Others. There are 8 petals on each flower; one for each of the 8 goals in each area they must complete while in this program. They get to put a rhinestone on when they complete a goal. There are 5 hearts for each of the 5 goals as they prepare for Young Women which they also get to decorate with a rhinestone once completed. These bags are stuffed with fun things and are meant to keep their “Faith in God” booklet in so they can bring it with them on Tuesday Nights and they will not get lost so easily!
Scrap books of our activities featuring photos as well as journaling are on display so parents can browse through them. These are NOT professional in workmanship. The girls do most of the work themselves as I struggle to keep them organized. I usually end up “catching up” with these books myself. The girls personalities shine through on the inside.
Each family was to bring a fruity spring time desert. I made a berry trifle from a recipe my Mom gave me which I took liberties with. Stacey says recipes are just a suggestion and I agree wholeheartedly. I start with a home made pound cake… I like the one in my Fannie Farmer cookbook. Easy and great! Then I make a home made custard which refrigerates well for several days even. I made a sauce using frozen raspberries and homemade strawberry preserves. Delicious cut strawberries came from Sam’s Club and heavy whipping cream with a quarter cup of sugar finished the trifle bowl creating four layers of five items with some blackberries and whole strawberries gracing the top. I arrived early to assemble this dessert. The tablecloth on the desert table was embroidered by my Grandma Erickson and given to me… I think when I got married.
Our Primary President was our first guest speaker.
I took the opportunity to be the second speaker, speaking on what the Family Proclamation is. I had lots of visuals and attention getters. I love The Proclamation. My role in this calling has changed from doing this job entirely myself to overseeing 5 other leaders who now get to do most of the teaching/activities each week (our ward meets every week instead of the required twice a month) while I organize and schedule the quarterly and annual calendars, achievement records, missionary and activation efforts, co ordinate group activities, field trips and bi-annual Recognition Nights. It is more behind the scenes stuff. I am glad to have more help now since my family responsibilities have increased quite a bit over the past 6 years and the number of girls on my list is more than quadrupled but I do miss running the activities and teaching. My weekly service now is more an observer and overseer filling in when and where needed and helping out or being a runner. Is being in a calling for 6 years unusual? I think so, but they haven’t wanted to let me go. They told me they wanted to let some other leaders observe a few Recognition Nights I put on before they would think about releasing me. I’ve been trying to train these five sisters to take over the job I had been doing with one other person as my co-leader. That’s been a little hard at times, especially when I have to talk to them about making sure they’re there on time or making sure they realize they are the adult (not friend) in issues of safety and discipline. Anyway, perhaps this was my last Recognition Night… or perhaps I have a new lease on the calling with a changed role as of the latter half of last year.
I asked the Bishop (far left) to be our final guest to speak to the girls about finding confidence and happiness in being a righteous daughter of God in today’s world using the Family Proclamation as a map and guide.
Five girls finished our evening singing “Walk Tall… You’re a Daughter of God”, a song I first came across as a teenager and the focus of our evening.
Yes! A huge crystal pitcher received as a wedding gift, held a large spray of lilacs from my yard. It filled the whole room with its lovely scent.
“The Family: A Proclamation to the World” was written in 1995 by the First Presidency. At the time I wondered why they needed to write a document which stated some really obvious things and who was arguing? Perhaps I was naive or perhaps the world changed but just a few years after that I remember leaving my house one morning as a registered voter to go and actually vote on the definition of marriage. At that moment I realized that this had been on the horizon back in 1995 and felt grateful that someone had seen it coming. I was also a young mother at this point and felt pulled in different directions between career and motherhood. I am grateful to have this document to look to in times of confusion. Following its council from our Heavenly Father and holding to it leads me toward finding not just happiness but joy… true joy. Today I truly appreciate its value as something to hold on to in a difficult and confusing world. I know who I am, why I’m here and what I need to do to find happiness and how to guide my children toward the same. It gives me strength.
I wish I had more pictures of Lindsay but it’s hard to do that and run everything while swapping the baby back and forth with Rick as he played the piano for this and keep Tristan & Kaitlyn in line at the same time. We’ve always had great accompaniment whenever we need it and I appreciate his willingness to help out so willingly whenever needed. Lindsay has just over a year left in this program and will complete it without a hitch on her current track. Haley completed this program last year. I feel fortunate to have worked with my own daughters for much of the time I have served as AD Leader.
The night went well. Everyone always loves these evenings and I am always grateful when they’re over. I have 6 months until we put on the talent show I will organize… unless of course I am released (or moved) by then. I’m more likely to be released, I think.
















Wow - you do an amazing job! I have yet to attend one of these with Sophie. She loves activity day girls though ours only meets every other week. I was released from my calling last week and am hoping I'll get a little break before they give me a new one!
ReplyDelete