A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Look What the Cat Dragged In?

Call me crazy but I think this little guy is sooooo cute!

DSCN9404

Sometimes old houses get little visitors and admittedly when they get in around here they don’t last too long with 3 cats.  In fact, last night we heard a “squeak” downstairs and 16 year old Cindi, who’s always been our “huntress” had gotten this little guys litter mate and finished him off.  This little guy pictured above appeared in the middle of the basement floor in the middle of the afternoon today.  He is TINY!  He was just standing there shaking.  We didn’t quite know what to do with him but if we left him on his own in the house he wouldn’t stand a chance.  And as cute as I think they are I don’t like droppings left around and I don’t like things chewed up either.  Before the cats came along my kids did and this was their solution.

DSCN9406  

We found a small box for him and without touching him got him in it and brought him outside.  We fed him bird seed… he was THRILLED and we got a cap full of water.  He ate and drank heartily.

DSCN9407

The mouse loved the grass and wood that the kids collected from the yard for him.  Then the kids watched him for HOURS even bringing board games outdoors in order to watch over and protect him with the express order NOT to touch him.  The mouse by this point was completely unafraid of the children.

Finally I stepped out and told the kids it was time to bring his “house” out to the lilies in the back of the yard where the rabbits and chipmunks live.  I reasoned with them that the sooner he found shelter before sunset the safer he would be.  So they watched him go.

2 comments:

  1. When we went camping at Johns land we found a bunch of little mice just like that one!!! I wish i had one as a pet. But we have the ones that hide out in the garbadge can at Johns land!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe our little friends came in with the garbage can Rick brought downstairs during his clean up of his work area. That's a possibility.

    ReplyDelete