Fourteen years have passed now since the arrival of this young lady who made me a Mom for the very first time. So today was a day to celebrate this special girl’s birthday and Haley has been looking forward with anticipation to this one for quite some time. Being 14 brings the milestone of wearing blush and attending dances. In the beginning, 18 years seems like it might be a long time but growing up is actually passing really quickly.
Here is my birthday girl, as tall as me now and proud of it. She finds everyone gathered for her birthday dinner…
Farfalle with home grown sun dried tomatoes and italian sausage, green salad with tomato, homemade buttermilk dressing and fresh homemade garlic french bread were on Haley’s menu.
Streamers had to be re-hung creatively so we could set the table. The surfaces grew too moist for the tape as we were cooking the pasta. Haley was happy to have the “special” plate at her seat. Dinner was delicious and Nathan ate his entire meal and asked for more.
After dinner we opened cards and presents. Haley and Nathan loved the musical one from Haley’s Sunday School teacher.
What is this? Kaitlyn had gathered a few treasures, a string, a dinosaur head and a McDonalds toy card, to present to her big sister. Haley thought it was funny but sweet.
Tristan proudly gave her one of his treasured legos; special because it’s green (one of Haley’s favorite colors) and he wrote her name on the side of it in permanent marker. Very thoughtful.
Haley’s birthday celebration actually began yesterday with an afternoon shopping trip with Mom. I took her out to a few of her favorite stores to spend birthday money and so I had her show off what she picked out to everybody. First we went to the book store where she bought the first two BONE comic books, The Magician: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, Enna Burning, Book of a Thousand Days, and Encarceron. I even got to shop there for myself with a gift card I had from my birthday so now I have more books in my “to read” pile. After that we headed to Old Navy for skinny jeans and then to the mall across the road for four shirts from Justice and a pair of pink sweatpants. We had a really nice time together and Haley was thrilled to be picking out her own clothes and to figure out the best way to spend her money. After we returned home and finished getting kids cleaned up for Sunday we left Lindsay to read stories and babysit while we took Haley out for dinner. This was the other thing that Haley decided she wanted to do. We ended up at the Old Spagetti Factory and had a really nice dinner and visit. It’s very different to be out with only one or two of your children at a time so it’s good to do every so often.
Haley had a few presents to open after dinner. The first was her Growing Up Girl for this year. She also got the movie Inkheart which she says she must finish reading first.
The Evolution of Copernius Tate is a book I want to borrow when she’s done with it. And finally Haley got a present she has been wanting for a long time and was thrilled to receive.
Apples to Apples is a game Haley has played with friends on various occasions and has raved about. After we put younger ones to bed we got out this game and played with Lindsay too. This game was so much fun for all of us.
Haley snapped a picture in the kitchen of her personal chef. I finished dressing the cake Haley had asked for… a chocolate caramel cheesecake without nuts. So I added mini-chips to make it look pretty after drizzling it with homemade caramel sauce and homemade hot fudge. Then the candles went on and we lit them up and turned out the lights to sing.
14 candles can create some heat!
Haley made a wish for the coming year which we hope will bring her happiness. And after the cake was served to everyone and the birthday girl took the first bite we all enjoyed a thin slice of this very rich dessert and it was delicious. Haley is a bright and spirited young lady with a great deal of talent who we are very proud to call our daughter. Our family wouldn’t be the same without her.
Haley said that this was one of the best birthdays ever because it was simple and because we spent time together. I’m so glad it was exactly what she wanted. Happy Birthday Haley!
















Happy 14th Birthday Haley! Sounds like a very nice day. And the cake sounds delicious, I made one similar to that for Isaac a few years ago. I just had a friend's caramel chocolate cheesecake and she used brownie instead of a crust- delicious! Kaityln's gift is very cute. Oh dear, skinny jeans?! I guess as long as they weren't jeggings (I hope). I read Book of a Thousand Days and it was a very fun, light read. You'll have to borrow it from Haley when she's done. I was at your house on my 14th birthday and Greg was born a month later, isn't that funny?! Happy Birthday again Haley!
ReplyDeleteWow! Am I ever getting old! I wasn't thinking about the fact that it was your 14th birthday that was spent at Heathers house before I had Greg! How the time flies!! I remember Haley toddling around back then, now I think she is taller than me!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Haley! I'm so glad that it was a great birthday just the way that you wanted it. That is how birthdays should be. Now if I can just wrap my brain around the fact that you are 14...
We have apples to apples and we love it!
ReplyDelete