It’s a beautiful autumn day today; too good to spend indoors even if Kaitlyn isn’t feeling the greatest. So though we’ve been “stuck” at home for a couple of days now we decided to have some fun anyway and take our picnic out to the backyard. We had a nice picnic on a blanket under the old Oak tree and the sticky fingers, crumbs and spilled milk are for the squirrels to clean up after… we had a great time out in the sunshine.
We ate homemade jam and peanut butter on warm fresh wheat bread, the most delicious applesauce that reminded us of the trees we picked the apples from and a frozen brownie from a batch made over the last weekend. Nathan thought dipping his brownie in applesauce before taking a bite was grand.
Nathan loved the fact that I didn’t care that he was wandering every so often. He tries to do this in the house and I think he’s like eating with uncivilized Helen Keller AND Houdini wrapped into one. But when I quit fighting him on it and he gets down normally he’s done until the next meal. He can get out of every seat belt strap I have come up with so far. Since I didn’t care this time we were all relaxed. And when he decided he was done we just fed the scraps to the squirrels who live in our tree. No cafeteria style mess. Win! Win!
Spooky does come out and sit on our porch sometimes if we are outside and he couldn’t resist a day like today. When he saw that we had food he had to come down and check things out… but wasn’t much interested in peanut butter like Sandy is or applesauce like Scruffles is.
Sandy was too busy to come over and check out the peanut butter sandwiches for herself… she has decided that she wants to go outside and without going into details of several obnoxious behaviors I will just say that she has made my life so miserable because she is miserable that I decided I had to let her out. For both of us I HAD to let her out. Mostly she hangs around our backyard or our neighbors backyards in the late morning and early afternoon. Then she’s happy for the rest of the day indoors. She races from one end of the yard to the other at top speed and this time ended up in my next door neighbor’s tree. She is a huntress similar to how Cindi was when she was with us.
After lunch we played around the yard, went on the swings, hunted for worms, chased butterflies and found a ripe tomato; one of the last, I’m sure.
Nathan drew caterpillars with me while Kaitlyn and I worked on chalk castles with moats and bridges.
Before… and after…
And after sticky sandwiches, chalk and several hours of general backyard dirt it was certainly time to wash hands and brush teeth. I’m sure we don’t have too many more days like this coming along and so it was extra nice to enjoy this time outdoors together. Let’s hope we can get Kaitlyn better soon now.
















No comments:
Post a Comment