A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Style

Last month Kaitlyn started sewing with me.  It started with the beginning of a button box collection and went from there to where she is now sewing a gift for her brother for a Christmas gift each afternoon.  When our fabric store was closing I told her she could go with me and would probably be able to find a few buttons to add to her collection.  She was not disappointed.  While there she also came across this remnant (featured below) which she LOVED.  The remnants were 75% – 90% off.  I literally paid 14 cents for one nice remnant (not this one though).  It wasn’t a very big piece but I figured the price wouldn’t hurt and we could probably figure out something fun to do with it.  This is what we came up with.  Kaitlyn calls it her “Twirly Whirly Skirt” and it is made with probably less than half a yard of fabric total in the style of Lindsay’s rehearsal skirt that I made last month.  Only this one isn’t quite as twirly… simply not enough fabric for that… but Kaitlyn loves it.  Kaitlyn picked out the coordinating fabrics that I had in my scrap bin for this skirt and she sat on my lap at the sewing machine and helped me guide the fabric.  Kaitlyn pulled out each pin as I stopped the machine and so she rightfully feels she’s had a hand in its creation.  It was all finished and ready for her to wear to a birthday party earlier this month… only she got sick and couldn’t attend.  So disappointing! 

DSCN3526

Fun Disney Princesses! 

DSCN3601DSCN3600

Kaitlyn put it on this morning and even had a blue and yellow flowered scarf around her neck with it when we went back to the orthodontist AGAIN for another repair for her sister.  She came down stairs, slipped on her boots when she saw the rain and announced “I have my OWN style” with a big smile on her face!  Nothing wrong with a little confidence in this life.  The skirt is very cute on her and she is enjoying wearing it as much as she enjoyed helping to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment