A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Friday, June 3, 2011

Buffalo Salad

Rick wants to know which new cookbook I got this salad from.  While I have been having fun making German pancakes in the crock pot and other good things with my new books I told him I didn’t use a recipe for this.  I made this dish up myself; a Buffalo Salad.  It’s hard to get actual buffalo wings around here so when I want them I usually just make them myself.  I love them but not the fat & calories and trouble so I don’t make them often.  Now the version in restaurants is high in calories because of the butter they add to the sauce and the skin of the chicken.  This is more acceptable in that department and the taste combinations make a truly great salad for a main dish.  It’s got all the taste you expect without so much guilt.

DSCN1925

I place a bed of organic spring mix on each plate with celery slices.  I drizzle that with homemade low fat Ranch dressing.  On top of that I place baked boneless skinless chicken pieces that I have tossed with plain Buffalo Sauce, no butter (look for bottle with flying winged buffalo-good stuff or Franks Red Hot is good too).  Buffalo sauce itself is 0 calories.  Toss some blue cheese crumbles on top of the chicken and there is your main dish.  It is so wonderful!  I added a side of cherries which are in season and a fluffy homemade dinner roll which had no trouble rising in the afternoon sun coming through my window.  A very simple and delicious meal.  I wonder what other main dish salad combinations I can come up with for this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment