A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dad’s Day

Sunday was Father’s Day, a day to recognize and honor all of the Fathers in our lives.  I haven’t spent a Father’s Day with my own Dad in many years now, which is sad.  In fact, he rarely gets a card from me ON TIME any more; still the case.  But I find that I think of my Dad all the time, and I wonder in how many ways we are shaped and affected by our Dads (and Moms too for that matter).  It’s little things I say sometimes that I am surprised to hear come out of my mouth; for I sound just like my Dad or Mom on occasion.  And perhaps some of those things came from his parents and maybe some of those things even came from his parent’s parents and carry down.  Sometimes I do things for reasons that come back to me as things my parents did or at least taught me to do.  Sometimes I enjoy things because I enjoyed them with my parent, once upon a time, and now my children are enjoying those things too.  Sometimes I share life lessons with my own kids now that are stories told to me by my Dad or are about my Dad…  like one day recently when I caught one of my kids “smoking” gold fish crackers… because it is cool!!!  And that child is dead set on never smoking now all because I told them Pop’s story.  I hope it’s a cure!  I know my Dad set a great example for me in many ways and I hope he had a great Father’s Day.  My children also have their own Dad to make memories with, who teaches them life lessons and supports them with all of the practical every day needs that they have.  I helped my children celebrate their Dad.  He is a good Dad and that was what I was looking for years before children came along.

DSCN2272

Rick was asked what he wanted for Father’s Day.  He said that the best gift he could have would be a good meal with his family.  I looked at him questioningly… he gets that almost every single day except when he works late in the Fall and comes home to warm his plate and eat alone… but it’s one of those things that you don’t understand until you’re older.  I never understood how “not arguing” was a good Mother’s Day present, for example, and now I do.  Simple is better, you learn.  I don’t have any pics but for dinner we had green beans, buttered rolls and “guilt free” (no cream) Alfredo with chicken… granting the wish of a good family meal… after playing the hilarious game of “Scribblish”.  That might be the best Cranium game yet.

DSCN2275DSCN2278

For the “biggest kid around” as his card stated, we gave him a wall plaque about families. 

DSCN2271

Before taking an evening walk, Nathan patiently waited while I threw together a quick dessert.  Rick LOVES cookie sundaes at UNO’s and once or twice a year we stop in on our way home from the Stake Center and share one after the adult session of Conference on Saturday night.  I decided to see if I could re-create this treat, also known as “Pizzookies”.  I took chocolate chip cookie dough and put a layer of dough on the bottom of ungreased ramekins.  Baked them at 350 for about 15 minutes until the edges looked done and the center was not quite done.  Then I took them out of the oven, let them cool for five minutes and placed a scoop of ice cream in the center of each followed by a drizzle of homemade chocolate sauce which I still had in my fridge.  Except for no whipped cream (which the restaurant adds) these yummies had exactly the same taste as the cookie dessert at the restaurant.  Plus it was about $7 dollars cheaperSmile

DSCN2269

Cookie Sundae Cup; aka “Pizzookies”.  YUM!  Happy Father’s Day!

1 comment:

  1. I like the beautiful board! And your home-made cookies sundae sounds delicious. I've had them before a couple of times, but never at Uno's. I thought it was a Utah thing, I think that's the only place I've had them, I never realized we had them here until I noticed Greg likes to get them out at restaurants. Happy Father's Day to Rick!

    ReplyDelete