This past Saturday, Kaitlyn was invited by her teacher at church to a “Sunbeam Party” at her home. Her teacher lives quite close to us and has been a good friend to me taking all three of my children when I went to the hospital to have Kaitlyn, bringing us a meal after Nathan was born and I know the list could go on. Kaitlyn loves her teacher very much and was looking forward to this party for a couple of reasons.
First, besides seeing her teacher who warmly welcomed us into her backyard on this sunny morning, there were her friends! Mostly there are boys in her class but when her best friend showed up she lit up and vanished from my side. They shared Sunbeam cupcakes on a tree stump together and made their sunbeam craft together. Of course they scrambled all over the yard together as well.
Second of all, and maybe just as important, were the three chickens who call this backyard home. Kaitlyn was REALLY looking forward to the chickens. In our city you are allowed to keep chickens. I don’t know how many you are allowed to keep and I presume you should check with your neighbors first, but they were really delightful birds used to sharing a yard with the kids. And they are strictly egg laying; almost 2 dozen a week. I have read that grass fed chickens eggs are really a different food than the ones you buy at the store and my friend confirmed this. Kaitlyn loved the chickens. One is named (I think) Admiral Achbar. The other is M.P. (Michael Pollan) and frankly I cannot remember the third name, but they were all quite clever. I had a hard time getting all three chickens in the picture.
The birds just wandered the small yard with about 8 or 9 kids and about as many adults. I really enjoyed talking to the other Moms, all of them being friends of mine. The Dads who showed up stood around having their own conversations.
The boys stuck together playing and the girls seemed to stick together; each with their own agendas (sort of like the adults, I guess). But everyone had a great time. It was so nice of Kaitlyn’s teacher to have a special Saturday morning party for her class. I know Kaitlyn can feel the love that her teacher has for her and the other children.
















What does she do with all of those eggs? I can't imagine that they can eat/use 2 dozen eggs a week. (Have you ever been the lucky recipient of some of those eggs?)
ReplyDeletexo aunt Barb
That looks like such a fun little party! I bet Kaitlyn had a blast.
ReplyDeleteWe have been such lucky recipients of farm fresh eggs from a guy that Isaac works with. He has chickens in his backyard that his kids bought as eggs- off the internet. They are so much better! I even made cupcakes with store-bought eggs and some with the farm fresh eggs and the ones with the fresh eggs were so much better. And all breakfast eggs, scrambled or fried, or whatever really are so much tastier.
Friends of ours just got two chickens for their yard and they live in Brighton and have three young children, one being a little younger than Porter. And she always has all the neighborhood kids in her backyard now because everyone wants to see the chickens! They are a hit with the kiddos.
I just might eat that many eggs in a week, I love eggs! And so does Porter.