A Day in the Life...

Our Story

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy 4th!

DSCN2479

How could a day start without Legos?  Tristan made a flag to display as soon as he woke up this morning.  He helped his Dad take the real flag and display it in front of the house outdoors.  We almost had to have a formal flag ceremony in Cub Scout uniform; he was SO into it.

DSCN2491

My husband went to the store to buy some cream early this morning and came back bearing a beautiful bouquet as a surprise.  I love the flowers, as do two of my kitties in particular.

DSCN2481DSCN2480

No Fourth of July is complete, I’ve been told, without my Red, White and Blue Dessert, so I got to making that with fresh berries and a creamy concoction that is the BEST while my hamburger buns were rising in the warm sunshine, preparing to bake and my pasta tortellini salad with various vegetables, cheese and garlic chilled and marinated.  During the food production I got a chance to talk first with my Dad and then with my Mom; it’s been a while so we tried to catch up.

DSCN2484

I decided to be lazy and get some paper plates out of my paper products bin for our picnic.  I was delighted to find matching flag plates and napkins I’d bought on clearance last year and forgotten about.

  DSCN2486DSCN2487DSCN2488

We had plenty to choose from; hot dogs, cheeseburgers, fresh rolls, pasta salad, roasted corn, red white & blue dessert, chips and a variety of sodas to choose from.  Nathan wanted to try some of Lindsay’s Root Beer.  Perhaps drinking from a can was a novelty but he decided to go back to his plain old skim milk and was perfectly happy.  The rest of the kids were thrilled to drink as much soda as they wanted and had fun choosing different flavors.  Apparently orange soda makes the picnic, I’ve been told.

DSCN2489DSCN2490

The kids had a good time playing outdoors.  Everyone played Bocce at some point.  Someone was always on “Nathan Duty”.

DSCN2495DSCN2496

We decided to try to get a family picture; all of us being in flag t-shirts from various past years.  Then Rick let the kids take a “silly” picture at their request.

DSCN2500DSCN2505DSCN2504

As the fireflies came out and the kids ran around after those sparkly bugs we served homemade strawberry ice cream to them in a cup, so they could continue their roaming adventures through the yard.

DSCN2506DSCN2508DSCN2503

Earlier, Rick had made some yummy home made ice cream that we all appreciated and enjoyed before leaving the house for an evening of fireworks.  Surprisingly, I think Nathan was the least interested in fireworks of any of my young children in the past.  Or perhaps he was just so tired.  It was late anyway and he’d been kept up late the night before (even though all the windows were shut) by all the racket from neighbors setting off fireworks and firecrackers.   He kept looking out his window at the “works”  and talking to his brother until around 11 p.m. last night when he finally fell asleep.  I guess the police turn a blind eye to things on occasion and I don’t live in the quietest neighborhood in the summertime.  Most of my kids were still awake from all the banging and popping last night.  Tonight we enjoyed a terrific, professional display that lasted nearly 45 minutes and is probably the best fireworks show I’ve ever seen, which is what keeps us going back to this location year after year.  The way I see it, if Nathan had trouble being interested in fireworks, then Sacrament Meeting is hopeless for the time being!  The other four kids loved the experience and the two youngest were carried up to bed upon our return arrival with all the ingredients necessary for a night of sweet dreams.    We had such a good celebration.  I am glad we live in such a great country.  Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment