With a dangerous dew point of 80, a heat index of 117 combined with a smog alert & excessive heat warning my kids unanimously decided that THIS was to be our “ice cream night” for the year. I didn’t argue. Outdoors felt like an oven when we went out to rehydrate the garden and it was too hot to eat (which is how this got started in the first place. I hate the heat). I’ve been purchasing ice cream whenever it goes on sale in anticipation of this event, as well as another upcoming birthday, and Rick decided to use more of his ice cream making ingredients to try a new ice cream recipe. I look forward to this night all year, but always hesitate to use this trump card. Once we’ve had “ice cream for dinner night” it is over until next year sometime. After spending time this evening in the outdoor pool at our Y we showered and headed home for “dinner”, eating outside at dusk around 9:30 – 10 p.m. as we watched the heat lightening from the yard and the kids caught fireflies under an almost full moon rising in the southeast.
We had 7 kinds of ice cream available to suit anyone’s taste. After all, Mint Chocolate Moose Tracks isn’t for everyone and neither is strawberry. Rick outdid himself with the homemade chocolate cookies & cream; it was the best and could rival any gourmet ice cream parlor around. We also had berries, cream, cookies and home made chocolate syrup.
A little something for everyone.
It’s the one night I let them have as much as they want but their eyes are always bigger than their stomachs. They WISH they could eat more but they don’t want anymore.
Nathan thought this was one grand meal. Getting a second dunk of the evening was not a choice for him. He was one sticky, but happy, mess.
















Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves! Nathan is so adorable.
ReplyDeleteHow fun! What a great idea.
ReplyDeleteI would like to come to 'Ice Cream for Dinner' dinner - too bad you can't pinpoint the day a little easier. I suppose that's part of the fun, huh? (I'd even bring ice cream to share...)
ReplyDeletexoxo aunt Barb